Convict and firemouth cichlids

For advice on breeding your fish or information on other members fish breeding successes look here.
ste1

Convict and firemouth cichlids

Postby ste1 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:43 pm

I recently purchased a pair of breeding white convicts from maidenhead aquatics but since getting them home there bond broke and got worse over time and I had to seperate then before the female got hurt, I placed her in her own 160 litre aquarium as I will probably never be able to place her back with the male, a few days ago I purchased a pair of firemouth cichlids to go in the tank with her, but now they have settled in there looking like they might both be male firemouths. My "question is" would the firemouths try to breed with the female convict or is that not possible, if it is possible is this frowned upon are people against allowing the cross breeding of fish/cichlids???.....
Last edited by ste1 on Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JUWEL RIO 180, MAIDENHEAD AQUA OAK (200L), 2 X SUPERFISH HOME 25, FISH R FUN NANO (5,5L).....

pterygoplichthys

Postby pterygoplichthys » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:00 am

Hybridising of species' is very much frowned upon, with good reason, but in this case it won't happen as Convicts and Firemouths are of completely different genus.

ste1

Postby ste1 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:08 am

"pterygoplichthys" wrote:Hybridising of species' is very much frowned upon, with good reason, but in this case it won't happen as Convicts and Firemouths are of completely different genus.

That is what I though but in trying to find out I came across this video on you tube there are a few more showing fry. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wVN1gYVdPMg&feature=related
JUWEL RIO 180, MAIDENHEAD AQUA OAK (200L), 2 X SUPERFISH HOME 25, FISH R FUN NANO (5,5L).....

pterygoplichthys

Postby pterygoplichthys » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:49 am

OK, I stand corrected on that one as there's lots of evidence that it happens. Thinking about it, as they are bothe Cental American I should have realised it's more likely as many of the undesirable hybrids on the market (Flowerhorns, Blood Parrots etc) are CA hybrids. I would take steps to prevent it if I was you as the fry shouldn't be passed out into the general population.

Return to “Fish breeding”