Elephant nose - how many?

Questions on unusual fish, including puffers, rays, mormyrids and tankbusters, go in here.
JDW
Posts: 243
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:48 pm

Elephant nose - how many?

Postby JDW » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:43 pm

Hi Everyone,

I keep reading conflicting advice about elephant nose fish and how many to keep. Some places say on no account have more than one, and others say keep them in groups of 5 plus.

Does anybody have experience that can help me form an opinion one way or another?

I'm at the research stages of a planned 150 x 45 x 45 tank and I'm hoping to feature elephant noses one way or another.

matsp
Posts: 13736
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:32 am
Location: North of Cambridge, England
Contact:

Postby matsp » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:07 pm

Elephant noses are one of those fish that probably is best left in the Congo river. They are not at all easy to keep in captivity. In nature, they forage for small anmials (worms, insects/larvae, crustaceans, etc) in the soft substrate. It is very hard to replicate this setup in captivity, and I'm not aware of many kepers that have been able to keep them longer term.

I also think the answer to your actual question: I would say either one or more than five will work - keeping a smaller number than five will lead to bullying.

--
Mats
My Android App to find Catfish species on Planet Catfish:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... .quickfind

JDW
Posts: 243
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:48 pm

Postby JDW » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:26 pm

"matsp" wrote:Elephant noses are one of those fish that probably is best left in the Congo river. They are not at all easy to keep in captivity. In nature, they forage for small anmials (worms, insects/larvae, crustaceans, etc) in the soft substrate. It is very hard to replicate this setup in captivity, and I'm not aware of many kepers that have been able to keep them longer term.

I also think the answer to your actual question: I would say either one or more than five will work - keeping a smaller number than five will lead to bullying.

--
Mats


Thanks for addressing the question, eventually.

I've kept single examples before successfully and I'm quite comfortable with their husbandry requirements. Searching for elephant nose on this and other forums brings up as many successes as failures, I'm not really up for the debate about whether they are suitable for the aquarium or not. I note that Practical Fishkeeping magazine is inconsistent on this issue, sometimes subscribing to your point of view but also running a whole feature on them several months back detailing their aquarium care.

User avatar
tropical tank
Posts: 9193
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:16 pm
Location: Frome, Somerset.

Postby tropical tank » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:29 pm

"JDW" wrote:Thanks for addressing the question, eventually.

I've kept single examples before successfully and I'm quite comfortable with their husbandry requirements. Searching for elephant nose on this and other forums brings up as many successes as failures, I'm not really up for the debate about whether they are suitable for the aquarium or not. I note that Practical Fishkeeping magazine is inconsistent on this issue, sometimes subscribing to your point of view but also running a whole feature on them a couple of months back detailing their aquarium care.


If your confident about their feeding and general care, then I say go for it!
If it works then we will need pics :D

I hope it works out for you.
Joe

JDW
Posts: 243
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:48 pm

Postby JDW » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:45 pm

"tropical tank" wrote:If your confident about their feeding and general care, then I say go for it!
If it works then we will need pics :D

I hope it works out for you.


Thank you. Some way off execution of the plan, but I'll do my best re pics when it comes to it!

User avatar
N0body Of The Goat
Posts: 2510
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:29 am
Location: Southampton, UK

Postby N0body Of The Goat » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:05 am

I'm an African riverine nutcase, but I cannot see myself ever going near any Elephant Nose Fish species with a barge pole.

Providing you quarantine them for several weeks to ensure they eat well and put on weight, not to mention check for plus treat any spotted infections, they can do well in a classic "African oddball" large tank. Someone at one of the popular general forums has such a setup and his appears to do very well and is even said to be "alpha fish" in the tank.

But having a big enough tank to house a 5+ group for life above having just a singleton is way beyond almost all aquarists, my own feeling is they would need a massive tank in the ballpark of 12x3x3 and you could probably count the number of people with those in the UK on less than our fingers and toes...
African riverine fish obsessive, wanting to do a Tanganyika tank someday!

lesley anne
Posts: 94
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:52 pm

Postby lesley anne » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:48 pm

Hi I have just joined and noticed your thread. I have a elephant nose and had him for over a year now. His tank is really just his lol i have had no issues at all with him feeding etc. I say go for it. Good luck :)

User avatar
bottomfeeder8
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:51 pm

Postby bottomfeeder8 » Tue May 27, 2014 5:57 pm

Hi it's one fish I have had one for three year's he made it clear that the tank belonged to him I've gave up my community fish as he grew as for keeping this species I clean my tank every 4 day's with 50% fresh water and I feed live baits like glass worm blood worm brine shrimp also use fresh frozen baits I hope to of been some help

Sent from my SM-T315 using Tapatalk

User avatar
blackghost
Posts: 8088
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:47 am
Location: Cumbria

Postby blackghost » Tue May 27, 2014 7:37 pm

For me, One is out of the question for any species that lives in groups, so 8-10 plus. But you'll need a bigger boat.

They say 5+ or 6+ is a shoal. It isn't. It's a tiny group cut off from a shoal.
I don't keep fish, I keep water. Water keeps fish.
The only known constant is Change.


Return to “Oddballs”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests