Nutrafin(Hagen) Master Test Kit

Questions on pH, acidity and alkalinity & hardness,(GH/KH) as well as water testing, additives, chemical filtration and general water quality.
yourpaceormine

Nutrafin(Hagen) Master Test Kit

Postby yourpaceormine » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:44 pm

Looking at buying a master test kit... I want to test for ph, nitrate, nitrite, ammonia, dh, kh and phosphate. Have seen the Nutrafin/hagen set for £35. Bit of a bargain, and it comes in a plastic case (always a sucker for a nice box - think it is a result of working with autistic kids for twenty years). JBL one looks rather good too but that is over a hundred quid!

So any experiences of Nutrafin/hagen tests good or bad would be greatly recieved. (Obviously bad vibes will need to be via PM so as not to upset anyone). Read a few threads where folk are worried about accuracy - partic re: nitrate.

ta in advance

matsp

Postby matsp » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:58 pm

Everyone on here seems to recommend the API test kit. And I think (has been in the past at least) it's available for around £20 from online retailers.

--
Mats

lisathomas

Postby lisathomas » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:24 pm

I have just bought an API test kit online for £22 from Charterhouse Aquatics. Unfortunately tho I had to pay a bit of P & P.

Good kit tho...easy to read. No nice box tho I'm afraid and I was a little disappointed that I didn't get a pipette with it. However, I'm currently using one of my sons medicine syringes :D
Lisa
'No one can feel as helpless as the owner of a sick goldfish'
200l Fluval Roma housing three comet goldies and two single tail goldies

yourpaceormine

Postby yourpaceormine » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:20 pm

API doesn't have all the tests I want in it though.

matsp

Postby matsp » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:28 pm

"yourpaceormine" wrote:API doesn't have all the tests I want in it though.

What are you after that isn't in there? Could you get it/them as individul test(s)?

I'm not saying that's better, just another choice to consider...

--
Mats

koinut

Postby koinut » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:20 pm

Hi yourpaceormine.

If your after a standard type re-agent kit I would go for the API kit that's been mentioned.
Very good value and more importantly very easy to read.
And the accuracy is very acceptable as well.

I do remember posting on the Nutrafin/Hagen kit before here.
On thing I can say...and show...is I personally did not like the ammonia test cards at all when I trialed one.
The different shades between zero and 0.6 were indistinguishable
And to my mind this is as good as useless as by the time you have a reading over 0.6 you are already in trouble.
Have a look below and you will see what I mean.

Of course if this has been altered or amend lately it may be better than the example above.

If I use a standard (non electronic) kit I always use API.
API do a hardness test kit as well...around a £5-6 I think.
And a phosphate test kit for around £8-9
Hope that helps a tad.

Andy T
If you have sick fish......Think twice..... Treat once.
O.A.T.A Certification in Filtration & Fish Anatomy
><{{{{(0> ><{{{{(0> ><{{{{(0>

janmalkin

Postby janmalkin » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:19 am

When using the Nutrafin Ammonia test I filled a test tube with plain tap water and held that beside the one containing the tank water and reagent and held both against a White background. If I could detect any colour difference it would be because I had some Ammonia :eek:

matsp

Postby matsp » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:27 am

"janmalkin" wrote:When using the Nutrafin Ammonia test I filled a test tube with plain tap water and held that beside the one containing the tank water and reagent and held both against a White background. If I could detect any colour difference it would be because I had some Ammonia :eek:

This works, but only if you are sure that your tap-water doesn't have any ammonia. Which has been known to happen in some regions...

--
Mats

janmalkin

Postby janmalkin » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:32 am

:eek: Heaven forbid.Good thinking Mats, you are quite right. Fortunately we don't where I live, but I guess this could change at any time.

yourpaceormine

Postby yourpaceormine » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:49 pm

Many thanks for the replies - particularly Koinut and Janmalkin.

Why am I looking at the Hagen set? £35 for everything I want to test for (and a few things extra as well). API is £20 and then a number of individual tests too (@ £5-8 each).

If money was no object I'd go for the JBL pro kit - I really like JBL tests, in particular the comparison test bit

So the Hagen ammonia test isn't the easiest to read - sounds like the tapwater/mineral water comparison could make it work.

Any more experiences of Hagen tests gratefully received.
Ta in advance

Return to “Water chemistry”