Fish per litre?

If you have a question about fishkeeping which doesn't fit in another category, please post it here.
heartofrainbow

Fish per litre?

Postby heartofrainbow » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:10 pm

Can someone please explain or send me a link as to how to calculate how many fish per litre!?

Also if you were to go over slightly how would this affect your tank? Is it a major problem? What would happen? etc etc

I am nearly ready to start stocking mine and am in need of some advice!

Thanks

Bob Mehen

Postby Bob Mehen » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:10 am

Hello.

There are no hard and fast rules when it comes to stocking - different fish produce differing amounts of waste and require different amounts of space depending on behaviour. For instance fifteen 2cm neons don't produce anywhere near as much waste as one 30cm oscar :)

Have you tried the PFK stocking density calculator to give you a general idea of appropriate levels;

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/pfk/pages/stocking_density_calculator.php
Bob

Roadmaster

Postby Roadmaster » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:33 am

Perhaps the only hard and fast rule that I would go along with ,is to stock the tank slowly as opposed to adding too many fish at once.
Is also wise to take the time needed to research the fish you are interested in to ensure that they are compatible with each other,appreciate same water chemistry ,(ie) temp,pH and that they are all of even temperment. Foods they need for their longterm health should be considered as well along with Adult size. many are those who regret doing their research BEFORE purchasing fish.Congrat's on your new tank.

VaegaVic

Postby VaegaVic » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:30 am

Yes but Bob, most people now believe that is slightly out dated.
The rule I go by is 1cm per fish per litre and then 0.5cm per litre after 10cm of fish.
For example:

2cm neon, happy in 2 litres.
10cm bristlenose, would not be happy in 10L but instead would be better with 20L.

Obviously this is "actual" water and not a tank limit as you must always account for swimming space and displacement by other objects. Always take the special needs of a particular species into account.

heartofrainbow

Postby heartofrainbow » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:36 pm

Thanks all! (Can you tell i'm a noob!? Lol!)

I will try the calculator Bob and see what it says!

I am in the process of researching fish atm and haven't decided fully on any yet!

Thanks again

Bob Mehen

Postby Bob Mehen » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:19 pm

"VaegaVic" wrote:Yes but Bob, most people now believe that is slightly out dated.
The rule I go by is 1cm per fish per litre and then 0.5cm per litre after 10cm of fish.

That's why I said there are no hard and fast rules regarding stocking levels and said the calculator would provide a general idea of appropriate levels.
Bob

Twicksisted

Postby Twicksisted » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:25 pm

As another way round...perhaps come up with what fish you are interested in keeping and how many and we could give you an idea of the tank size and filtration best suited to it :)

Return to “General Fishkeeping”