Odessa Barb

Talk about barbs, danios, rasboras and other members of the Cyprinidae family in here.
Serafina

Odessa Barb

Postby Serafina » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:52 pm

Following the magazine article in the April edition about Odessa Barbs, I'm really quite interested in keeping them.

I haven't yet been into any of our LFSs to see if they stock them ever, but wondered if anyone could give me some information around how common they are.

The article was great if you want to keep them, but was pretty unclear on how to get them in the first place!

I'm about to set up a new tank and I'm thinking of basing the set-up around Odessa barbs because I'm so taken with them, but there's little point if I'm not going to be able to find any.

Thanks in advance for your help.

indigoj

Postby indigoj » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:29 am

Where are you? I am in Bury Lancashire and have seen them in several LFS here, including Pets at Home!
5 tanks (30l-680l), various oddballs and catfish and a few 'normal' fish too, 2 dogs, 2 budgies, 4 gerbils, 1 other half, 1 small child = MADHOUSE!!!

Serafina

Postby Serafina » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:58 am

I'm in Aberdeen (a fair distance away from you!). I haven't seen them in any of our LFS yet, but I haven't looked at barbs a great deal. I'm not sure I would have known what they were previously either.

mickthefish

Postby mickthefish » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:48 pm

you should be able to get them fairly easy, most of the time they are sold as youngsters, so they don't have the vibrant red in the body.
they are a great fish to keep with little or no aggesion towards their own kind or tank mates.
keep your ph at 7 or above to make them happy, they eat virtually anythings you feed them and very rarely touch the plants.
very easy to breed if thats your intention as well.

mick

Serafina

Postby Serafina » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:14 pm

"mickthefish" wrote:you should be able to get them fairly easy, most of the time they are sold as youngsters, so they don't have the vibrant red in the body.
they are a great fish to keep with little or no aggesion towards their own kind or tank mates.
keep your ph at 7 or above to make them happy, they eat virtually anythings you feed them and very rarely touch the plants.
very easy to breed if thats your intention as well.

mick

Thanks for the advice, Mick.

I was assuming that they'd act quite similarly to the Golden Barbs that I have in my current tank - and hopefully they won't be at all like Tiger Barbs!

It's going to be a wee while until the new tank is ready for fish, so I'll spend some time reading up on them before I make a final decision.

I also need to decide what else to stock with!

Dunkal

Postby Dunkal » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:55 pm

Hi, I'm in Dundee and I bought 5 of my odessa barbs from Dobbies and they are very active fish and so easy to keep. I have one male which has now turned a stunning Red colour and sometimes chases the other odessas. Very peaceful fish and dont touch my other loaches and chequered barbs.

Serafina

Postby Serafina » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:00 am

"Dunkal" wrote:Hi, I'm in Dundee and I bought 5 of my odessa barbs from Dobbies and they are very active fish and so easy to keep. I have one male which has now turned a stunning Red colour and sometimes chases the other odessas. Very peaceful fish and dont touch my other loaches and chequered barbs.

Which Dobbies did you get them from? The one in Ayr?

I'm fairly ignorant about LFS in the rest of Scotland. I know that there's one in Aberdeen that I would recommend to others, and I have been told that House of Pisces in Dundee has a wide selection. Ultimate Aquatics is mentioned a lot and also Dobbies in Ayr. We have a Dobbies Garden Centre in Aberdeen, but their fish are rarely healthy and the care and maintenance there generally concerns me.

MyraVan

Postby MyraVan » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:03 pm

I have a bunch of them, 5 purebred Osessa, one female
rosy barb (left over from the shoal of rosy barbs) and one half Odessa, half Rosy barb! I got them from my local Maindenhead Aquatics. They were labelled as Burmese Red Crystal barbs, if that helps at all.

They are very peaceful and don't bother my angelfish or gouramis at all.

Dunkal

Postby Dunkal » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:42 pm

Hi, I bought them from Dobbies in Dundee. Their fish are generally very healthy and well looked after. House of picses is in Dundee also and has Odessa barbs but the shop isnt the cleanest and a lot of unhealthy fish there. Check my video at your tube under odeesa barbs and loaches!!

Serafina

Postby Serafina » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:19 am

Thanks guys.

I'll check out Dobbies in Dundee at some point.

Return to “Cyprinids”