Twisted Orfe advice!

Discussion about Goldfish, Orfe, Tench, Sterlets and other pond fish.(Please use the Koi forum for Koi questions).
Sass

Twisted Orfe advice!

Postby Sass » Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:12 am

Hi,

I have 3 large golden orfe who have become badly twisted, we think due to some paint falling into the pond when we had men painting our house last year! I know Orfe are sensitive to chemical changes in the water and to be honest they are quiet badly twisted, they can still swim okay, but now rarely seem to come up to feed! In fact we thought one had died because we didn't see it for 2 weeks despite it being the middle of July when the fish are at their most active.

We have had them about 10 years, and I'm not sure how long they live, but I guess my question is, is there anything else we can do to help them? They seem to spend their time hiding in the top end of the pond and they used to be bullies in the pond, gobbling up food knocking the others out of the way but now they couldnt care less when its feeding time. I could try and get pictures, but doubt they'd be very good!

Any advice would be appreciated!

Sass

tom00_uk

Postby tom00_uk » Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:34 am

if they can not swim normally culling would be best for them, the live and suffer is not fair

Sass

Postby Sass » Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:20 pm

Thanks for the responses. I think the kindest thing is to remove them. In 20 years of pond keeping, I have only had to kill a fish once. Any advice on the best way of doing this.

davespages

Postby davespages » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:42 pm

Many years ago my parents had a golden orfe with a bent tail...

Needless to say...it was there for months... then just vanished... never to be seen again.
Fresh Cold water: Goldies and Koi,
Tropical Marine: Ocellaris Clowns
My MTS has been cured!

jpcwebb

Postby jpcwebb » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:12 pm

I have a blue orfe with a bent tail - never affected it's ability to swim and eat, so I've never had a concern (in fact it's nickname is Kinky).

Margaret

Postby Margaret » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:53 pm

This is interesting.I have 3 orfe,they are over 18 years old and fully grown.I had a fourth but it sadly died 3 years ago.At the time,another 2 looked ropey but they recovered.One of them looks a bit bent each spring but then later in the year appears to be normal

However this year it seemed as if it was worse than usual,and wasn't going to improve.I thought there was little i could do,however it was eating well so i just kept an eye on it.

Watched them yesterday whilst feeding and i really honestly could not tell which one it was.I have had no problems with any other fish or water quality in the pond,so it is a complete mystery.I am led to believe that orfe only live to a maximum 20 years old,is this true?And can anyone explain how it could be bent but then straighten out again?

Return to “Pond fish”