Butterfly Koi lying sideways!

Need help with a fish disease? This is the place to come for advice.
Spook

Butterfly Koi lying sideways!

Postby Spook » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:01 pm

Hi all, I'm just after some advise re: my new Butterfly Koi.

We bought 3 Butterfly Koi on Saturday and they all seemed to settle into our pond just fine. They have all been eating well, especially the one we have nicknamed Tiger, but we have had our concerns since putting him/her in the pond.

Tiger seems to tilt slightly to one side, but will then swim off in a normal fashion, but today he/she seems to be just floating about an inch or so below the surface of the pond, on it's side. It's not dead, as when one of the other fish brush passed it, it comes back to life and swims off normally, but then it goes off and lies on it's side again. There are no obvious signs of any injury or illness - does anyone have any advise or suggestions?

Thanks

Spook

Postby Spook » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:20 pm

Hi, thanks for the quick response.

The pond is approx 100 gallons - it is filtered and also has flowing water for airating. It's been established for just over 5 years, although I must admit I haven't carried out a recent water test - will perform one tomorrow to check. Current fish stocks are 1 x orfe, 1 x shubunkin and 2 x ghost koi (all 5 years old), plus the 3 new recruits.

When we purchased the fish, they were in tanks under a canope in an established aquatic centre. We floated the bag on the pond for 30 minutes before releasing them. The other 2 seem fine, it's just this 1 ...

Spook

Postby Spook » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:56 pm

Hi,

I've now completed the water test - results are as follows:

ph = between 8.0 and 8.5
Ammonia = 0
Nitrite = 0.1
Nitrate = 0

Tiger is still zooming around the pond when he's in active mode, but floating on his side when dormant ...

Return to “Tropical fish health”