Killifish Eggs

The place for your posts on killifishes...
rowan1984

Killifish Eggs

Postby rowan1984 » Sat May 24, 2008 7:37 am

I've often seen Killifish Eggs for sale.

Does anyone have any experience with buying and raising killis this way?

Sounds like an interesting project.

Jarcave

Postby Jarcave » Sat May 24, 2008 11:43 am

Yes. Often it's the only way to obtain certain species. Are you thinking of trying them? If so, pick an easy species such as Gardneri or Australe to start with. Ensure you are able to culture livefood for the fry such as brine shrimp or vinegar eels, or micro / banana worms first and away you go. What are your killifish keeping plans?
Member of the British Killifish Association.

WWW.BKA.ORG.UK

For bargain priced banana worm, micro worm, vinegar eel, white worm cultures and catfish pellets. PM me.

eds

Postby eds » Sat May 24, 2008 1:15 pm

I've bought quite a few of the non-annual species as eggs and the more common species are little harder to raise than most fry. Give them lots of brine shrimp and microworms are good food too.

The annual species, such as Nothobranchius and SA annuals, are apparently a little trickier as they need an incubation time (which the seller should really write on the bag, or at least be able to tell you when to rouhgly wet the eggs) and then will grow very rapidly so you really need to give them lots of food and good, clean water or you can get problems.

rowan1984

Postby rowan1984 » Sat May 24, 2008 6:01 pm

I was thinking of setting up a nano tank and killis seamed like an interesting idea for it.

I guess I have to ask - tips on live food cultures?

Thanks

Return to “Killifish”