Will this worm harm my fish??

Need help with a fish disease? This is the place to come for advice.
Jacaust

Will this worm harm my fish??

Postby Jacaust » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:16 am

Hello all,

I've noticed a red/brown worm in my substrate and I'm not sure if it will harm my fish? It's around a half an inch long and appears to be eating the leftover food in the gravel.
I've read that some worms are harmful and others can just compost leftover food..
Also, if he is harmful how would I get rid of him without moving/stressing my fish?
I have a Betta, 3 guppies, 2 sucker fish and 2 mystery snails, 10 gallon tank. Water parameters are fine and have just done a 50% water change, this is when I noticed him as I'd stirred up the gravel with the vacuum :?

aquatic finatic

Re: Will this worm harm my fish??

Postby aquatic finatic » Mon May 15, 2017 8:27 pm

Post a picture of your mystery worm and maybe we will be able to identify it for you :)
Corys, plecos, Guppy, Killiifish, Gourami, Angels, Rams, Cherry shrimp, Apple snails, assassin snails, Endlers, Haps, Malawis, Dwarf Cichlids Ottos, Dannios, Loaches, Kribs. Maybe it's time to move some of these guys on.. Nah as they say more is better :D

Charax

Re: Will this worm harm my fish??

Postby Charax » Wed May 17, 2017 8:43 pm

Worms are pretty hard to identify, especially if we only have a photo to go by. But it's worth a shot, so let's see the guy.

I would play it cautious and remove the worm. If you want to remove it, maybe try siphon him out? Even just using a small cup would be sufficient. I doubt you having your hands in the tank for a minute would stress your fish too badly.

Regards,

Return to “Tropical fish health”