Medicine dyed my tanks water (and it looks gross)

Questions on pH, acidity and alkalinity & hardness,(GH/KH) as well as water testing, additives, chemical filtration and general water quality.
Nessaropefish

Medicine dyed my tanks water (and it looks gross)

Postby Nessaropefish » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:10 pm

I did a few keyword searches and couldn't find what I was looking for, so hopefully I'm not duplicating anything here...

I added some swimbladder medicine to my tank yesterday, and was surprised to find how badly it changed the colour of my water. It looks ridiculous, just a horrible yellow/green colour. In fact it looks like someone has urinated in it. I didn't over-do it with the dose either, If anything I used slightly less than the instructions on the bottle said. I REALLY wish the bottle actually told you it dyes the water before you put it in, but too late now I guess...

Obviously I need to wait a few days anyway to see if it helps the fish first, but after the eventual recovery (hopefully) or death (more likely knowing my luck) occurs I was wondering:

1. How do I return the water colour to normal? Will it change back on its own given enough time? Is there anything I can add to the water or filter to remove the dye? Or does it just take a few water changes?

2. Whilst it is in there, is the medicine or its dye a problem for the fish? Can it cause any harm to fish in the long term if they are exposed to it and don't necessarily need the medication themselves? If it's only speculation and "slight chances" then I don't want to know though, as I come across too much stuff in forums that would have put me off fish-keeping altogether had I read it all beforehand...

Thanks for any wisdom you can share.

pterygoplichthys

Re: Medicine dyed my tanks water (and it looks gross)

Postby pterygoplichthys » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:38 pm

WHen the treatment is over, do a few extra water changes apart from your usual weekly one and put some carbon in your filter. Those two actions will clear the colour quite quickly. It won't harm the fish, but it's good practice to remove meds once treatment is over.

Nessaropefish

Postby Nessaropefish » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:40 pm

Very speedy, thank you!

You mention carbon... how exactly do you add carbon to a filter? Or are we just talking about a different type of foam or insert that goes inside instead?

pterygoplichthys

Postby pterygoplichthys » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:13 pm

Your filter manufacturer may sell a carbon impregnated sponge/insert, or you can buy carbon for aquariums and put it in the filter inside a net bag.

Nessaropefish

Postby Nessaropefish » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:48 pm

Oh ok, probably the latter option if my quick google search is to be believed. Thanks!

Return to “Water chemistry”