Low ph (3.8) help please

Questions on pH, acidity and alkalinity & hardness,(GH/KH) as well as water testing, additives, chemical filtration and general water quality.
neillikesfish

Re: Low ph (3.8) help please

Postby neillikesfish » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:26 am

Well this is hard work! I don’t go on forums much but once in a while make the effort to try and help someone out. I’m not interested in arguing here but am going to try and respond as what we have on this thread now is a confusing picture for the OP and anyone else looking at it.

In summary what seems to have happened so far is I responded to the OPs question to which then Sjaak replied with a fairly condescending response letting me know I was completely wrong, spreading ignorance etc. I replied politely with some solid supporting material for what I was suggesting while at the same time conceding that in many hobby situations these issues may not be relevant but it was my view that in the case of the OP they could be and it wouldn’t hurt to raise the kh and ph (above 3.8). The response to this was another angry post and nothing to back it up.

The main issues seems to be that 1) you are sure that I am obviously clueless and randomly repeating stuff from forums and 2) that there is no connection between ph kh and nitrification efficiency. So for the first point i’m definitely not randomly repeating stuff seen on forums and always try and consider the evidence base behind any advice I give. In relation to the second point (and the first i guess) my understanding of kh ph and nitrification interactions is largely informed by literature relating to aquaculture where there is generally a solid science base behind recommendations and practices. Some of this material I shared. The rest of my thinking on the matter comes from long personal experience relating to myself and other.

For those trying to make sense of this topic and who are interested in the biology and chemistry behind it, the presentation and notes in the first link I provided give a good overview. For those not wanting to get that involved then maintaining a small amount of kh / alkalinity will help maintain a more stable ph and potentially be beneficial in terms of bio filtration.

daz4321

Postby daz4321 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:49 am

don't worry neil he is like that all the time. best to just let him get on with it.

Sjaak

Postby Sjaak » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:47 pm

daz4321 wrote:don't worry neil he is like that all the time. best to just let him get on with it.

Best advice you've ever posted by a long way

daz4321

Postby daz4321 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:15 pm

ooo missus !!!

CAYO

Postby CAYO » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:45 pm

In the interest of not totally confusing the O/P can we set aside the "I'm the only one who is right" attitudes and sarcastic comments please.

Hope what ever route you decide to take it gets your tank where you want it Andrew.
Check out the PFK Forum photo of the month competition here :D

AndrewG

Postby AndrewG » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:04 pm

Thank you to all who have responded and tried to help me, I really appreciate it. Today I noticed that my Angels have left me a little surprise so seems that they are happy with the water quality at the moment so we must have all done/suggested something right.

I certainly didn't want this to turn into arguments and for that I apologise.

Thank you

ImageImage

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AndrewG

Postby AndrewG » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:30 am

Progress :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

neillikesfish

Postby neillikesfish » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:46 pm

Congratulations on the fry. Are you going to try and grow any on?

AndrewG

Postby AndrewG » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:44 pm

neillikesfish wrote:Congratulations on the fry. Are you going to try and grow any on?

Thank you, I've not got another tank or hatchery but have food ready so it may be survival of the fittest tbh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Water chemistry”