Fry identification

Got a fish you can't identify? Post a picture of it in here and we'll see if we can tell you what it is.
Lois22

Fry identification

Postby Lois22 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:20 pm

My fish have confused me!

I've had White Cloud Mountain minnows for years (they're getting pretty old now) and recently added some platys. (There's also a single small fantail goldfish and a sewellia)

4 days after we got the platys I noticed fry in the tank! I assumed it must be platy fry but was shocked as we'd only just got them and none looked heavily pregnant (the guy in the shop pointed out a few pregnant ones in the display tank) and they don't look any different now.

We've never had any minnow fry, although we have recently upgraded the tank which now has larger gravel and more plants/logs.

I've seen at least 4 fry, mainly black and definitely growing over the past 2 weeks since I first saw them. Very hard to spot at times!

There's been one which looks smaller and paler than the others but today I spotted one at least a quarter of the size and entirely white/transparent.

Surely the platys can't be reproducing this quickly with no obvious change in size?
Could my old minnows have found a safe play to lay eggs in the new tank?

I'll try and attach photos, but don't have one of the teeny tiny one as it was so fast and went down into the gravel.
Last edited by Lois22 on Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lois22

Re: Fry identification

Postby Lois22 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:22 pm

Try again with photos. Won't let me upload my phone pic so here's one from a week or so ago. The older ones are now bigger and almost entirely black.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lois22

Postby Lois22 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:25 pm

Hopefully this will work, today's pics.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

pterygoplichthys

Postby pterygoplichthys » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:27 am

They're platy fry - as to how soon they've reproduced, they would have already been pregnant when you bought them (most female platys are).

Return to “Fish identification”