Zoa garden set up advice

Information and questions about sessile invertebrates (inc. Anemones); SPS, LPS, mushrooms, buttons, zoanthids, leathers, soft corals, etc.
familyfish

Zoa garden set up advice

Postby familyfish » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:45 am

Hello, Ive been wandering through the new posts on the forum and come across zoa garden tanks and im absolutlely fascinated by the idea! Has anyone got any tips on tank size and whether nano cubes and the lighting they come with are suitable? I'm hoping to get at least 100l at some point next year, but hoped starting small would work first.
I'm going to do a lot more research into it, but everyone here is so lovely I thought it'd be a good place to start as I appreciate marine invertebrates are a completely different kettle of fish (no pun intended!) to what I'm keeping at the moment, so please don't panic if my questions fill you with dread!
Juwel Roma 200 02/02/16 blackwater tank, 9 Cardinal Tetras, 7 Lampeyes, 7 Harlequins, 7 Marbled Hatchets, 5 Peppered Corys, 4 Ottos, 20+ Assassin snails 🐟🐚🍃

SantaMonica

Postby SantaMonica » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:07 am

I'm a big fan too of gardens; they can sure get expensive though.

Anyway, if you only keep zoa's, I don't think a small tank will hurt anything. Some people even get square tiles for the bottom and attach zoa's to those, and glue some to the back wall too.

neillikesfish

Re: Zoa garden set up advice

Postby neillikesfish » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:32 pm

I've only ever had a few different ones at one time (not a garden) but what I did notice was that some grow/reproduce much faster than others. I think a tank full of them will look great.

Heather85

Re: Zoa garden set up advice

Postby Heather85 » Tue May 23, 2017 9:02 pm

A zoa garden is reasonably easy to maintain especially if you are avoiding fish or adding a single fish e.g. a goby. A small clean up crew of crabs and snails and you have a tank for endless watching.

They do not need expensive high end lighting but you would be better with reef lighting otherwise the colours won't pop!

Palys are often sold as zoas and they grow much faster and dominate, so it is worth researching both types ;)

Return to “Corals”