Tank mates for Neon Tetras??

Questions about stocking and compatability issues.
Benc

Tank mates for Neon Tetras??

Postby Benc » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:38 pm

I have a planted 240l tank (60 gallon) with currently 12 neon tetra and one leopard frog pleco (L134) and after some ideas of what else to stock, any ideas other then other tetra species would be much appreciated! Looking to stock 1-2 more species.

Currently favourites are either German Blue Rams, Dwarf Gourami, Honey Gourami or Boesemani Rainbow. After something that will leave my plants alone!

Tanks been running for 12 weeks.

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20ppm
Ph 7.2

Plants in the tank - java fern, amazon sword and val.

fluttermoth

Re: Tank mates for Neon Tetras??

Postby fluttermoth » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:43 pm

We'd really need to know the hardness of your water before we could properly recommend species; you have both hard water (the rainbows) and soft water (the rams) fish on your list.

If you don't know the hardness, you can find out on your supplier's website. Hardness doesn't change much, so it's not worth buying a test kit for it.

Benc

Postby Benc » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:08 pm

Ohh okay! I used RO water with a buffer does that answer your question at all? I'm guessing the .2 is from the last remaining tap water I have in there, as tap water here is normally around the 8.2ph mark, with nitrate at 40+ppm, hense the change to RO.
Last edited by Benc on Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Benc

Postby Benc » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:11 pm

fluttermoth wrote:We'd really need to know the hardness of your water before we could properly recommend species; you have both hard water (the rainbows) and soft water (the rams) fish on your list.

If you don't know the hardness, you can find out on your supplier's website. Hardness doesn't change much, so it's not worth buying a test kit for it.

Ohh okay! I used RO water with a buffer does that answer your question at all? I'm guessing the .2 is from the last remaining tap water I have in there, as tap water here is normally around the 8.2ph mark, with nitrate at 40+ppm, hense the change to RO.

fluttermoth

Postby fluttermoth » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:02 pm

We still need to know to what hardness your buffer is raising it too, I'm afraid. Your LFS should be able to test your hardness for you; most shops do.

Benc

Postby Benc » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:26 pm

fluttermoth wrote:We still need to know to what hardness your buffer is raising it too, I'm afraid. Your LFS should be able to test your hardness for you; most shops do.

Okay I'll get it tested next time I'm there! Apologies, I'm new to this

fluttermoth

Postby fluttermoth » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:15 pm

No problem; not many people realise how important hardness is; much more important than pH.

All fish have evolved to 'expect' a certain level of hardness. If kept in the 'wrong' kind of water, their organs have to work much harder to compensate which not only shortens their lifespan in itself, but also causes a constant low level stress. That, in turn, affects the fish's immune system, which leaves them open to catching other diseases that a healthy fish would be able to fight off; ich, fungus, fin rot, things like that.

Return to “Aquarium stocking”