New Tank - New Fish!

Questions about stocking and compatability issues.
Miss_red

New Tank - New Fish!

Postby Miss_red » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:16 pm

Hey guys!!

I have been keeping fish for just over a year - At the moment I have a tank which has 3 Dwarf Puffers, Wild Type guppies (that breed like no tomorrow - rookie mistake) and cherry shrimp. Although the mixture of fish is frowned upon - surprisingly they all seem to get on well in their will planted home.

So now I have decided I want a 4ft aquarium and decided the Fluval Roma 240 looks like a good choice (although im sure it will change).

I would Love a community tank with some weird, colorful and wonderful creatures. Could I ask what mixtures do people have? with possible pictures, please?

Also - How often would I have to do water changes? Is there any creatures that would help clean the tank up ect ect?

Thanks guys
Kept and Bred Reptiles for over 15 years.
Completed my degree in Animal Biology.
Worked in zoos, veterinary practices, and pet stores.
Just got into the hobby of keeping fish!!

pterygoplichthys

Re: New Tank - New Fish!

Postby pterygoplichthys » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:21 pm

Post your water parameters (pH, gH and kH) as we need those so we can suggest fish that will do well in your water.

Water changes are typically 25% weekly as a minimum, depending on stock and how rapidly nitrate rises in the tank you may need to do more.

There aren't any creatures that clean the tank - that's your job.

Miss_red

Postby Miss_red » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:45 pm

I know for a fact my cherry shrimp will eat dead leave, I notice they ate the biofilm on my wood when that appeared - You can also get algae eaters too, THIS is what I mean by clean up creatures :roll:

I didn't ask which fish would go in MY tank - I ask what mixtures other people had out of curiosity to maybe get an idea of what I COULD have. But thanks for your unhelpful and harsh reply, but I suppose you get people 'like you' in all communities/forums. But well done, you've just added another reply to your statistics!

daz4321

Postby daz4321 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:22 pm

good job we worry about stats about as much as you worry about your fish ..proven by your stocking of incompatible species and also your ignorance of why we ask questions before giving answers that may lead the uninformed down routes that will end in problems.

What pray tell would be the benefit to you of someone posting pics of a malawi tank if you live in a soft water area? or a nice amazon tank if you live in london with liquid rock?

Cherry shrimp eat dead leaves but they still need feeding, algae eaters eat algae but also need feeding, adding them to keep your tank to clean it will infact make your tank dirtier with the added bioload. It is up to you to clean the tank simple fact.

we are here to help make sure the fish are well looked after not to pat people on the back and make them happy.

Miss_red

Postby Miss_red » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:39 pm

Wow I guess you lot stick together and just as unhelpful!

I thought people would flock to post a picture of their pride and joys - but obviously not, I was totally wrong. Again I asked what community tanks people had, curious of the species involved! yet 2 people have already jumped down my throat?!

Of course, see what I had in mind, I was going to put a Clownfish in a tropical tank, feed it peas and let it die... and get a pat on the back ;)
Yes I said my tank was frown upon however they do well - but I guess each tank set up is different, personalities differ and I'm just very lucky.

So again just curious of OTHER people tanks and what beautiful communities they have with regards of Top/Mid/Bottom feeders... or am i expected to get more narky comments?

daz4321

Postby daz4321 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:10 am

you were given 3 perfectly acceptable and relevant responses .. it was you who got your knickers in a knot... don't forget that.

As you have worked in a retail pet shop I am sure you know that you need information to answer questions properly or perhaps you worked at the large store we do not mention (which would also explain your attitude).

you want to see tanks look in the 'your tanks' thread. You want choices of what to stock in your tank answer the questions posted. You takes your choice.

Miss_red

Postby Miss_red » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:26 am

Acceptable would be - What do you mean clean up creatures? Maybe elaborate a bit more ... not 'There aren't any creatures that clean the tank - that's your job'. No way - really? I thought my tank stayed clean because of the fairy fish cleaners and not me, pruning back my plants, syphoning my substate, doing water changes and scraping algea off the side....Although my shrimp do help....

So yes i 'did get my panties in a twist' - as I took that was a rather rude way to answer someone.

Asking for my tank parameters was irrelevant to my question as all I wanted was to see other peoples community tanks and as you quite nicely mentioned - I was obviously posting in the wrong area, as a newbie to Practical fish forums- I'm still getting used to it. But Thank you for pointing me in the right direction - ill head there now.

As again for the narky attitude comment. The pet stores I worked in was reptiles stores and the reason for my attitude was the comments on this posts. Seems like too many people are quick to judge, snap and put people down.

daz4321

Postby daz4321 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:55 am

you included

Return to “Aquarium stocking”