from 5 fish to 2

New to keeping fish? Not sure where to start posting your questions? Please post them here and we'll help you find the answers.
pterygoplichthys

Re: from 5 fish to 2

Postby pterygoplichthys » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:55 pm

How often are you changing any water? Do you also suck out any fish poo/dead plant matter/uneaten food regularly? What's the pH in the tank? Do you have hard or soft water?

lork

Postby lork » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:22 pm

I use to do regular water changes every other day, then once a week - the longest i have left it was recently from 20th nov to 1 dec.

I use the gravel vac to suck out fish waste, dead plants and uneaten food every time i do a water change, i have hard water and the ph is 7.6

tamsin

Postby tamsin » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:43 pm

Have you tried testing the tap water (I'd do it before and after adding the stress coat). That way you can be sure the readings are coming from your tank not your tap e.g. tap water may already have nitrates.

Also I've always thought 'how much they can eat in five minutes' is a bit OTT. I put a pinch of flake in and it's probably gone in more like 30 seconds to a minute whilst they hunt out any stray bits. It's really hard to judge amounts from descriptions, but it might be worth cutting down a bit, there definitely shouldn't be any left to vacuum up.

lork

Postby lork » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:21 pm

So I checked my tap and it was reading 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and 10 nitrate.

I’ve just done another water change as the ammonia was reading 4.0 so hopefully this will bring the ammonia down

pterygoplichthys

Postby pterygoplichthys » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:26 pm

You need to change water whenever you see ammonia or nitrite on tests; enough to get them both down to 0.25 or under.

Check that you're using the tests exactly as instructed, especially the nitrate test as your current result doesn't make sense. You have 10ppm in the tap and are reading 5ppm only, in the tank. The level in the tank should be reading higher than or at least equal to the amount in your tap water.

lork

Postby lork » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:05 pm

I've read and followed the instructions for the test kit accurately but it is hard to determine the exact colour match, so it usually between 5-10 nitrate, I'll be running another test this evening so i can see if everything has gone down or not.

tamsin

Postby tamsin » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:34 pm

Nitrate can end up lower if you have plants as they'll use it up. It might just be differences in reading it though, when it gets to the small variations it's hard to tell the difference. Either way 5-10 is ok.

Return to “New fishkeepers.”