Goldfish from the fair

New to keeping fish? Not sure where to start posting your questions? Please post them here and we'll help you find the answers.
Fujiyamamama

Goldfish from the fair

Postby Fujiyamamama » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:39 am

Hi everyone, my husband unexpectedly came back from the fair with some comet goldfish that our children won on hook a duck.

I dashed out and bought them a small tank in panic, it's only 15 litres, came with a filter, and I have been doing daily changes to try and keep the ammonia levels down.

One of them came to us with ammonia burns on its fins and cheek, the other has some white bumps on it's fins which I'm not sure are fungal (so have been treating with API Pimafix) or of this is some kind of damage/malformation.

We have a new tank coming tomorrow for them, which is 38" long, not sure of the exact measurements as my father in law has purchased it and not given us much detail, and a 5 step filter, again not sure of cannister or sump. It's apparently a "proper setup"

I have attached pictures of said fish with symptoms described as above. Now they're here I want them to receive the best care I can provide rather than them being abused. When they are larger they will be going into my Mother in law's pond.

Thanks in advance for your help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fluttermoth

Re: Goldfish from the fair

Postby fluttermoth » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:18 pm

They really don't look too bad for fairground goldies; I don't think there's anything going on that plenty of clean water won't fix, although you will need to watch them carefully in case they get worse rather than better.

Water changes are your best friend right now, until you can get them into more suitable accommodation. 15l is very, very small; I wouldn't keep any fish in that volume of water, not even a small tropical. How long do you think it's going to take until you can get them into the bigger tank? If it's going to be more than a day or two, I'd see if you can find a large storage box and put the fish in there with the filter (if it's not built into the tank you have).

Is there any reason why they can't go straight into the pond? It really would be the best for them.

Fujiyamamama

Postby Fujiyamamama » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:08 pm

My MIL has had a Heron issue who has picked off smaller goldies out of her pond, so she's not happy with them being in when they're so small. She has some really good size ones mixed with koi.

We don't have a storage tub unfortunately, but going to the carboot in the morning so will see if they have anything larger for an emergency upgrade. The tank is coming tomorrow afternoon, it has gravel substrate with it so will be rinsed in water and hopefully set up by the evening.

I think the filter is a canister one after prizing a bit more information from my FIL, I've asked my mother to bring some media from her established aquarium to help mature the filter quicker.

We used to have a fair few tanks, but I've only had tropical and not goldies since I was a child and we had some poor little things on the kitchen side.

They are very perky little things, keep begging for food but I'm trying not to feed much to help keep the ammonia levels down.

fluttermoth

Postby fluttermoth » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:21 pm

Sounds like you're doing all the right things :)

I can only advise you to carry on doing the water changes and, of course, do post again if they don't start to look better x

P.S. Try and get some live plants as well; they can help a lot with water quality.

Fujiyamamama

Postby Fujiyamamama » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:01 pm

Thank you. The tank that came is infact a Juwel rio 125 so not as big as I had hoped.

There was substrate in the bottom and when we started to remove it to clean the tank down we realised there was dirty underneath it :shock: so it was a very messy affair. The filter is running to remove the cloudiness in the water and all being well the fish will be moved in in the morning.

Some live plants came with it, I think they are anubias.

I've used aqadvisor regarding stocking and the filter capacity will be way above the bio load once it has cycled.

Thanks again. Will post some pictures when they're settled in :)

Return to “New fishkeepers.”