Stocking

New to keeping fish? Not sure where to start posting your questions? Please post them here and we'll help you find the answers.
mpmoore

Stocking

Postby mpmoore » Sun May 14, 2017 7:19 pm

Hi all! So I'm looking for some suggestions on what fish to keep in AquaNano 40 that I'm planning on setting up soon, it's a 55 litre tank and I was considering a Siamese fighter but thought I'd see what other suggest!
I have considered keeping cold water fish so some suggestions there would be appreciated too.
I'm fully read up on setting up a new tank but I welcome any extra tips!
Thanks!

Bob Mehen

Re: Stocking

Postby Bob Mehen » Mon May 15, 2017 8:36 am

Your tank would make a good home for a single male Betta splendens if furnished suitably, giving it plenty of space. With smaller tanks such as your's I generally recommend 'micro' fish species, or at least more sedentary fish. If you wanted more than a single fish and your water is suitable then you could try a small community of miniature species - perhaps a group of Sparkling Gourami,(Trichopsis pumila ) alongside a shoal of Mosquito Rasbora,(Boraras brigittae) with perhaps some Kuhli Loach,(Pangio sp.) to wriggle around the tank bottom.
Bob

Sjaak

Re: Stocking

Postby Sjaak » Fri May 19, 2017 12:49 am

A Betta would de perfect for your tank as long as your tap water parameters are OK. Mosquito Rasbora (Boraras brigittae) are vey small; can get sucked into filter systems, need a low flow tank, soft/very soft water, and regular feeding with live food in a tank with a bigger footprint than your cube to see them at their best. I am a convert to keeping Bettas and they are very entertaining fish, not shy, and love to have a look at what you are up to. If you can put the tank in the busiest place in your house it will keep a Betta stimulated. When the fish has had enough it will go and sleep on any leaf that will support it.
Good luck.

Return to “New fishkeepers.”