Koi Laying on side

All questions about keeping the king of pond fish here, including koi pond building.
Fish-trop-koi

Koi Laying on side

Postby Fish-trop-koi » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:10 am

Hi,
I'm worried about one of my koi about 12" long and 7 yrs old, pond is 12,500 litres - well established filter, cleaned! Water is crystal clear. Water test done today showed

0 on nitrate/nitrite
Amonia 0
PH 7.2

So this fish lays on its side and looks dead, I even dug a hole yesterday, then when i tried to net her, woosh of she goes, upright and swimming normally and even asking for food. Now everytime I look out window she is laying on her side but as soon as I go out to her she swims up and asks for food!

I can't see any signs of poor health and the water seems fine. Only difference is I added 4 5" koi several weeks ago, could they have bought in something icky? They were grade a imported Japanese Koi from a well established koi retailer. I've only ever bought from them as their reputation is perfect. They quarantine before selling so I have always taken it that they are safe (rookie error, even though I've been keeping koi 20 yrs)

Spawning took place last year so I may put spawning mops in but she doesn’t look bloated. Could this be a temp thing as the last few nights its really dropped at night, a 10 or so degree thing.

Any ideas :?: :?:

Fish-trop-koi

Re: Koi Laying on side

Postby Fish-trop-koi » Wed May 17, 2017 1:09 pm

In case anyone else gets this, I added Medifin, a treat all med, and its worked. Fish all fine now :)

Return to “Koi”