Which heater?

If you want advice on gadgets and filters for your tank ask someone in our Aquarium equipment forum.
Daz'sFishtanks

Re: Which heater?

Postby Daz'sFishtanks » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:32 pm

I have used the majority of Fluval heaters for all my time in Fishkeeping and friends the same.Fishkeepers for over twenty years some.Never heard of an instance of thermostat failure and cooking fish.The believe like myself the majority of Thermometers are inferior as opposed to heaters and placed wrong in a tank by people and they are adjusting to suit.
Last edited by Daz'sFishtanks on Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Daz'sFishtanks

Postby Daz'sFishtanks » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:58 pm

An aquarium heater without an adjustable Thermostat cannot be adjusted to account for power stability or age of the heater or it's components!

daz4321

Postby daz4321 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:18 pm

you may have been lucky but redundancy is better than luck.

1w per l will heat an aquarium in all but the coldest of area's (in homes) no need to go higher.

having just checked my records and I have 78 heaters running at the moment so I may get more failures than the average home aquarium ;)

having also looked through records in the last five years I have had 12 heater failures, 10 of those stuck in the on position and raising temps to over 30 fortunately like i said I run digital thermostats to act as override so these have stopped the temp raising any higher and also raised the alarm of the faulty heater.

The last one (before introduction of the digital thermostats) was a 300w heater in a 350l tank and raised the temperature to 41 C....wiped out the whole tank. I do not know how long it was like this apart from saying less than 7 days as I serviced that tank every week and the owners were not at home (a months holiday)and their 'homesitter' did not notice !!!!!

Watermania

Postby Watermania » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:54 am

Daz'sFishtanks wrote:The Forum is open and advice given is from experienced users or from users who have been contacted from Mods because of there not helpful but insinuating posts.No change of User ID or thumbnail can change that because they are so obviously recognizable.I will state i do not give bad advice or have ever but to the original OP you can choose.

What on earth are you talking about? Are you suggesting that I have been changing my user ID and thumbnail to hide my identity so that I may make unhelpful, insinuating posts? I have never changed my username and can't remember the last time I changed my thumbnail. If your comments are aimed at me then, what you write amounts to no more than unsubstantiated guesswork and misplaced accusation. Repeat incidents will leave me with little choice but to report you for defamation.

Watermania

Postby Watermania » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:59 am

Daz'sFishtanks wrote:Never heard of an instance of thermostat failure and cooking fish.

Try googling. You will soon learn of many instances of this happening. In the past I used to oversize my heaters but I have since learnt. What the other gaz says is spot on with regards to both heaters and filters.

Daz'sFishtanks

Postby Daz'sFishtanks » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:14 pm

I don't believe i quoted anyone in my statement did i?Concerning advice given.It was merely a statement given that it is an open forum and advice can be taken or left.

Daz'sFishtanks

Postby Daz'sFishtanks » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:31 pm

As for heaters majority rules out of seventy eight i am quite sure if you go with a proven make it will not fail you or i am sure Manufacturer will re-compensate.As i said i personally believe that most chosen temperature gauges are inaccurate and many adjust/heater placement to suit but if anyone too disagree google as stated!

daz4321

Postby daz4321 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:36 am

read my first post

proven make lol

David-cy

Postby David-cy » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:38 am

Hi to all, just a comment on heaters failing and over heating your tank. To combat this problem I fit an external thermostat set just above the temperature of my heater / stat. this is my fail safe device. I have never had a problem with this method.

Return to “Aquarium equipment”