What do I do with unexpected fry?

For advice on breeding your fish or information on other members fish breeding successes look here.
Stuja90

What do I do with unexpected fry?

Postby Stuja90 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:31 pm

Hi all, brand new here to ask this question. I have a 28 litre tank with a mix of platy and danio. Today I notice 2 very small new additions in there completely unexpectedly that look like small danio. I'm not sure how this happened but the tank is at capacity and I'm completely unprepared to raise baby fish. Is there a responsible way to remove them as they can't stay in the tank else it'll get overcrowded. For example I may give them away but should I wait until they're a certain size/age?
I've noticed they're feeding on small fish flake debris and don't seem to be getting bothered by the bigger adults in the tank.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks.

daz4321

Re: What do I do with unexpected fry?

Postby daz4321 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:14 pm

consider getting a tank more suited to the stock you have anyway check your species and their requirements at http://www.seriouslyfish.com/ both species you have require much larger aquaria.

In respect of the fry you should grow them on to a 'reasonable' size before rehoming (reasonable size depends on species)

Return to “Fish breeding”