Breeding Paracheirodon simulans, the green neon tetra

For advice on breeding your fish or information on other members fish breeding successes look here.
rr16

Breeding Paracheirodon simulans, the green neon tetra

Postby rr16 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:22 pm

Hi, I have recently bred the green neon tetra. As far as I'm aware, it hasn't been bred that much in captivity. I was wondering if anybody else has had experience of breeding this species.
I currently have approximately 40 fry at 36 days old, which are just miniature versions of their parents now.

fluttermoth

Re: Breeding Paracheirodon simulans, the green neon tetra

Postby fluttermoth » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:42 am

Very, very well done! None of the neon/false neon/cardinal tetras are easy to breed, so all credit to you!

What kind of set up did you use? What were the pH and hardness of your water? How did you stop light getting to the eggs/fry and what did you feed them?

I'd be fascinated to know; I bred normal neons, many years ago, but I've gone off them and cardinals now; too much red! I do really love my green neons though, I could be tempted into having a go at breeding them...

rr16

Re: Breeding Paracheirodon simulans, the green neon tetra

Postby rr16 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:44 pm

When they spawned the temperature was at around 27°C, pH 5.9, tds 35ppm.I used R.O. water with alder cones, oak leaves + extracts from both these), a mesh on the bottom and eyelash wool spawning mops. I fed the adults on a combination of newly hatched brine shrimp, microworm and some frozen brineshrimp. The fry started on paramecium, then banana worm, microworm and bbs, and I fed flake for the first time yesterday and they loved it.

Return to “Fish breeding”