Bronze Corydoras fry

For advice on breeding your fish or information on other members fish breeding successes look here.
Sjaak

Re: Bronze Corydoras fry

Postby Sjaak » Tue May 09, 2017 9:32 pm

Hi Colsel.
Sounds like a good plan. You should not need a second filter system in either tank. The big Juwel filter systems are incredibly efficient, I regularly run my Juwel tanks overstocked without a problem, and all I have to do is change the filter floss/wool twice a week instead of once (I buy it in bulk).
I Moved the few Adolfo fry that I had into my Mosquito Rasbora tank (60l Juwel Koralux with a sponge filter) when they were over 7mm and I have just moved them into the 125 Rio Cardinal/6 Green Neon/3 Otto Tank at +17mm ish.
I have no idea about Bristlenose Plecs and if they would hover up small fish, so you might be best posting a question about that in the "General Fishkeeping" section.
Depth of water; 6" in fry tank, 10 1/2" in Mosquito Tank (full) and Cardinal Tank full.

I think that's everything covered.

EDIT
Tartan Tropicals are very reliable for Grindal Worm and every other type of live cultures.
Good Luck.
Sjaak

Colsel

Postby Colsel » Wed May 10, 2017 6:25 pm

Thanks for the reply Sjaak.

When the fry look around 7mm I'll move them to a bigger tank with 10 1/2 water and when they're about 17mm I'll put them in the Rio 125. Then eventually half will go in the Rio 125 and half will go in the Rio 180.

When it comes to stocking levels according to the calculator I've been using you can have up to 24 bronze corydoras in a Rio 125 and 38 in a Rio 180, that is if there are no other fish. So 16 in each should be fine. But the key thing is filtration and how good it is. As long as I have a very good filter, do not overfeed, change the filter wool twice a week and do regular water changes and clean the substrate then the fish will be happy and healthy.

Thanks for your help.

Sjaak

Postby Sjaak » Wed May 10, 2017 7:15 pm

When you transfer a large number of fish, remember to check the nitrites in the new home. If you have soft water keep an eye on the pH dropping below pH6.
Nice one and good luck. 2 tanks of home bred fish, now that's something!

aquatic finatic

Postby aquatic finatic » Tue May 16, 2017 8:26 am

Corys are awsome, I love them but breeding them can be hit and miss more so depending on the fish than anything else realy, sounds like you have got the mix just perfect 8-) I'm very happy for you theres nothing like rearing your own fish it's a great feeling watching them grow up :D , I have recently bred albino (on my umteenth lot, these guys love it what ever I do to the tank), bronze (I just added 6 more adults to the group making it 9 now), sterbi (mine are skitish and shy) and I'm trying to get it right for my 8 emerald greens atm (as I said all depends on the fish most of the time everything is as it should be but they are just not happy with it all) and my pigmys, as I said I love corys, Good luch with your fry and all the info Sjaak has given you I would happily follow, micro worms, grindal worms and gamma shrimp and my main live foods, I only feed frozen to my adults as a treat, post some pictures of the little guys :)
Corys, plecos, Guppy, Killiifish, Gourami, Angels, Rams, Cherry shrimp, Apple snails, assassin snails, Endlers, Haps, Malawis, Dwarf Cichlids Ottos, Dannios, Loaches, Kribs. Maybe it's time to move some of these guys on.. Nah as they say more is better :D

Colsel

Postby Colsel » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:09 pm

The fry are 6 weeks old now and are in the Rio 125. It's been a difficult last two weeks as firstly a couple of them had white spot so I put in methylene blue and the white spot went away. However 4 have died due to stomach problems. They started swimming erratically, couldn't stay on the bottom and then ended upside down on the bottom and died.

I think the most likely problem is that I'm feeding them decapsulated brine shrimp and I've read that it can cause gut problems with fry if its not soaked first and also if the exoskeleton hardens it can cause problems for the fry. So I'll soak the brine shrimp now before I put it in.

At 6 weeks I am still just feeding the fry decapsulated brine shrimp. At what age/size should I stop feeding the brine shrimp and start feeding crushed flake/tetra tabimin tablets/live food etc? Thanks.

Sjaak

Postby Sjaak » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:12 am

Hi again.
I have never fed decapsulated brine shrimp to my Young or adult Cory. Brine shrimp live in brackish water and I have read that salt water and Corys do not mix, so perhaps this also covers feeding corys food grown in salty water. I have had major problems feeding frozen Daphnia to Corys.
I think I mentioned it in an earliesr post that I raise my Cory fry on; live Infusoria, then live Microworm, then live Grindal Worm. Maintaining live cultures takes up as much time as fish keeping. It's not simple or easy. If you have the time to grow 2 or 3 grindal worm cultures give it a go and your Corys will develop much faster and naturally. If you do not have the time for live Grindal worm cultures, just stick to a mix of something like; crushed Hikari sinking wafers and fine flakes of Tetramin flakes sunk to the bottom.

Thank you so much for posting the details of the problems you have encountered feeding decapsulated brine shrimp, it contributes so much to genuine fish keeping and how to get it right/what to avoid. I am sorry that you have lost fish and I feel for you, it is harsh, seeing fish that you have raised from eggs suffering and dying off.

Good luck with the remaining Corys and thank you so much for being honest.
Sjaak

Return to “Fish breeding”