Where do I start?

General questions about keeping coldwater fish here please.
Birds_will_Fly

Where do I start?

Postby Birds_will_Fly » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:22 am

I'm looking to keep goldfish and other possibly other species of cold water fish but I'm not sure where to start? I've purchased a book on fresh water fish but it's a little too complicated! Could someone maybe point me to a good website? Or maybe a check list of the basics I need?

What are the best tanks you can get for a reasonable price? I'm thinking maybe a couple of foot long?

I'd be grateful for any advice you can give me!

daz4321

Re: Where do I start?

Postby daz4321 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:02 pm

the_storm

Postby the_storm » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:32 pm

Goldfish require a really quite large tank as they are essentially pond fish, see the link above.
Best advice? Do a ton of research and plan before buying the fish.

Birds_will_Fly

Postby Birds_will_Fly » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:27 pm

Thanks. We have been looking at 2/3 foot tanks. I've spoken to my local aquatics centre who have advised a tropical tank instead? I was thinking this would be a lot more complicated than a cold water tank surely? But they say not.

fcmf

Postby fcmf » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:01 pm

A tropical tank would give you more variety of fish to choose from. The only difference between it and a coldwater tank is that a tropical tank requires a heater (a cylindrical shaped tube on suction cups that attaches to the inside of the tank) - the heater is set to a certain temperature to suit the species of fish and it has an in-built thermostat so that it switches on and off as required.

I would advise opting for a 3-foot rather than a 2-foot tank - it increases your options of fish to keep.

From your water supplier's website, find out what your water hardness is and units of measurement, then that should help you to choose fish which are in line with that - some fish are more suited to hard water and others to soft water.

Return to “Coldwater fishkeeping”