Fluval U2 filter

General questions about keeping coldwater fish here please.
marshmandr

Fluval U2 filter

Postby marshmandr » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:27 pm

Just purchased a new fluval U2 filter. I'm having it run next to my old filter until good bacteria build up.

I have noticed that with The U2 on max flow rate it is still not as powerful as my old filter that is a quarter of its size.

Does this seem right? Or is my old one more powerful because it is just a simple carbon sponge filter?

AquariAnt

Re: Fluval U2 filter

Postby AquariAnt » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:34 am

Can't tell you if it should be more powerful than your old filter, but can tell you that running it alongside will achieve nothing...the bacteria don't migrate...why would they?...and if your bioload hasn't increased, then there's no food to support a new colony...best to just simply use your old media in your new filter.
_____________________FACTOID______________________
an item of unreliable information that is reported and
repeated so often that it becomes accepted as fact

stingrays4

Postby stingrays4 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:39 am

Hi it has an adjustable outlet I am assuming you know this as some settings give it quite a gentle flow. You turn a knob on top of the unit to change the outlet position and hence flow. If you can move the media over then you could take out your other filter,if using carbon only in it you could simply use it when you want to give the water a little extra 'polish'.

marshmandr

Postby marshmandr » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:04 pm

Thanks for the replies. I just assumed new bacteria will grow in new filter?

If they don't i could cut up one carbon sponge from old filter and place some of it into central blue canister in new filter that has solid media in?
hqdefault.jpg

Or I could place in side compartments.?

Obviously I don't want old sponge in new filter forever so do bacteria spread throughout the new filter?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Coldwater fishkeeping”