Goldfish not eating

Health information, questions and answer.
andrewconnor

Goldfish not eating

Postby andrewconnor » Sun May 14, 2017 6:43 pm

My goldfish has stopped eating and is very bloated but its not dropsy. I think he may not have been to the toilet or eaten for 2 weeks now.

He is approximately 10 years old 8 inches long and in a 90 L aquarium with a fluval msf206 filter

I did a full tank clean and noticed that there was a lot of waste under the gravel that hadn't been going into the filter (I hadn't cleaned under the gravel for a while). I generally had been doing 50 % water changes.

I have done a complete tank clean and added about 25% of tank water back in and added king British swim bladder control as well as conditioner and have also given the fish some peas which he wouldn't eat. I then gave him an epsom salt bath twice yesterday and once today but still no change in him.

He generally just sits on the bottom of the tank though does lean very slightly to the side while swimming when he does move around and his tale is high.

Not sure of water ph etc yet so will be buying a kit tomorrow.

Any advice most appreciated

Bob Mehen

Re: Goldfish not eating

Postby Bob Mehen » Mon May 15, 2017 8:27 am

Hi Andrew.

Sorry to hear about the sick fish. Until you have a full set of test results for the tank, it's hard to be certain what is going on. What sort of filtration does the tank have? 90litres is rather small for what sounds like a substantial fish. Is the fish a 'common' type of a 'fancy' variety?
Bob

andrewconnor

Postby andrewconnor » Mon May 15, 2017 5:06 pm

Hi Bob

Thank you very much for the reply I am buying a test kit today so will test the water tonight

The tank is a bit on the small size and I need to get a larger one the fish has shot up in the last year and it is the only fish in the tank.

The filtration is a fluval msf206 filter with carbon, ceramic and sponge filters in it, if that makes sense? there is approximately 2 inches of mainly large gravel/ pebbles with a under gravel filter. (I was never sure if a under gravel filter was a good idea?)

I hope that is what you were asking?

andrewconnor

Postby andrewconnor » Mon May 15, 2017 6:38 pm

Hi
So after buying test kits (although I bought PH instead of ammonia, I will rectify this tomorrow) the tests show that -

general hardness is 180
carbonate is 180
pH is 7.5
No2 is 0
No3 is 5

Bob Mehen

Postby Bob Mehen » Tue May 16, 2017 7:50 am

Thanks for the extra details. The water appears to be fine, but the ammonia reading is important as it will show if the filter is working properly or not. I'm assuming the UG filter is powered by an air-stone? While UG's are not very common nowadays they are very effective if maintained correctly. However, if you have a mature external filter like you appear to have I would be tempted to remove the UG filter and the majority of the gravel to increase the tank volume a little and make maintenance a little easier with a messy fish such as a goldfish. You'll only need a thin covering of gravel on the tank base without it which will be far easier to keep clean. How long has the current tank and filters been running for?
Bob

Bob Mehen

Postby Bob Mehen » Tue May 16, 2017 7:51 am

Any further details on the type of goldfish?
Bob

andrewconnor

Postby andrewconnor » Tue May 16, 2017 2:49 pm

Hi Bob thanks for the reply

It is an ordinary gold fish not fancy it seems to be swimming around like nothing has happened all fins are ok and erect but not eating and has not eaten for about two weeks. The filter has been running for about a year although I change the carbon every now and again and the pipe that takes the water out is set up under the gravel ,I do not have an air stone. The tank was running for about the time and I had been doing regular water changes but when the gold fish got sick I cleaned the tank out. I now know this was a mistake although I did keep the filter contents and about 20% of the original tank water.

Cheers

andrewconnor

Postby andrewconnor » Wed May 17, 2017 10:24 am

Hi

I have now tested the ammonia and that is at 0 ppm

Still no change in the fish's eating toileting!

I used to see a similar thing when I worked in trout farming, obviously this is on a industrial scale so there is no care given, but the trout would get so bloated they would almost explode due to not being able to go to the toilet.

the_storm

Postby the_storm » Sat May 20, 2017 9:26 am

Try to tempt it with some boiled, husked and crushed garden peas (slightly boiled) and a little bit of boiled, crushed garlic. Ultimately your fish is in an unsuitable tank that's way too small for it. If it recovers, it needs to be in a pond. Good luck!
http://injaf.org/aquarium-fish/the-gold ... -goldfish/

Return to “Coldwater fish health”