caulerpa brachypus?

Marine health questions and information
Doughbun

caulerpa brachypus?

Postby Doughbun » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:01 pm

Hello,

I think this might be caulerpa brachypus. I sadly introduced this to my dt when i bought my very first frag from my lfs. learn the hard way on things like this. Anyway I'm after suggestions for getting rid of it. I have tried starving it of nutrients and light to know avail as it comes back. I've also tried an urchin and various snails and hermits. Apparently tangs love it, but my tank is only 3'x2'x2' so tang police would have me.
If left alone it completely covers my rock and grows to about 3" long. At the moment I am fighting it by removing rocks at wc time and treating with peroxide and scrubbing the stuff off. This is obviously a bit distressing for the tank inhabitants, not to mention hard, messy work.
I'm considering a sea hare, but don't know which sort and also worried about stories of them taking down tanks when the die.
Any suggestions?

Trying to add photos, file too big gotta work out how to do this.

Doughbun

Re: caulerpa brachypus?

Postby Doughbun » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:40 pm

Ha a pic of the weed

IMG_20170604_152102.jpg
IMG_20170604_152022.jpg

Hope this has worked
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CAYO

Re: caulerpa brachypus?

Postby CAYO » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:32 pm

tricky one... other than scrubbing the rock out of the tank if you can, a tang would have been the ideal option. You could try a emerald crab or fish wise a foxface if it goes with your eventual stock plan. A seahare is another option but make sure you have a home to move it onto once the algae is cleared up.
Check out the PFK Forum photo of the month competition here :D

Return to “Marine health”