Temporary UV technique for ich

Marine health questions and information
SantaMonica

Temporary UV technique for ich

Postby SantaMonica » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:35 am

This technique is simple: Keep a strong UV (such as 57 watts or more) and water pump in storage, and when you encounter ich then put the UV and water pump in a for a few weeks. When ich is gone, remove the UV and store it again. Has worked for me 5 times in a row, if I start using it as soon as any ich is seen.

Sjaak

Postby Sjaak » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:05 pm

"SantaMonica" wrote:This technique is simple: Keep a strong UV (such as 57 watts or more) and water pump in storage, and when you encounter ich then put the UV and water pump in a for a few weeks. When ich is gone, remove the UV and store it again. Has worked for me 5 times in a row, if I start using it as soon as any ich is seen.

Sooooo
Where does the Ich keep coming from?

SantaMonica

Postby SantaMonica » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:38 am

It's always in the water, just like bacteria is always in the air around you.

pterygoplichthys

Postby pterygoplichthys » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:14 am

If it was in the water some UV set ups (not all) would deal with it completely. The real reason is that most fish have a few ich parasites but there isn't a full blown infection until some environmental factor causes stress in the fish. Repeated infection usually mean there is something else in play such as water quality issues, incorrect or fluctuating parameters or stress from territorial issues. Correct use of a decent medication will usually eradicate it, but as soon as new fish are introduced the risk returns if fish are still stressed.

Return to “Marine health”