Bristlenosed plec

Discussions about all the other cold water fish which are available including native fish.
draconiz

Bristlenosed plec

Postby draconiz » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:56 am

A bit of a newbie question really...
(I used to have black moors and nerite snails so my knowledge with community tanks is low, i can do water chemistry etc and filters and anything goldfish but I'm a bit new to small fish!)

I've got a 90l aquarium. Temperate. It's near a window but not in direct sunlight so it's literally room temperature and a stable temperature too as it's not near a door.

Currently I've got 4 lonely looking platies and i could do with someone to eat the algae and add some interest.

I've got hidey holes and all sorts of things like that which i couldn't have because my silly black moors kept getting stuck.

I've read conflicting information about bristlenosed plecs. P@home swear blind they're tropical fish so won't sell me one. The internet often tells me they actually quite like cooler water.

So which is it?
I'm aware if i don't buy from p@h i have to drive a long way for one, or i have to lie to p@h which is too much effort.

Also, would they be ok with platies? I'm considering adding more platies soon, maybe bring the numbers up to 10 or add a couple of danios.

P@h have said in a fortnight there'll be enough algae etc for me to add a Hong Kong plec or 2 (for one, i plan on a water change before then, for 2 I've read Hong Kong plecs can be a bit fussy and like high oxygen and fast water - I've turned my filter down as the platies were struggling, i was in goldfish mode so it was on high, for 3 I'd be giving them algae wafers anyway)

Help! I love bristlenosed plecs. But don't fancy a tropical tank (electrical costs). Platies are about as small as i want size wise. And I'm a bit bored of nerite snails escaping at night.
90l aquarium with 8 platies (all female apparently), 2 Hong Kong plecs, some algae and 20 moss balls

2l glass jar with 2 platy fry and a moss ball

daz4321

Re: Bristlenosed plec

Postby daz4321 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:16 pm

platy (variatus) 20-26 C
bristle nose 21-26 C

seriouslyfish.com provides reliable information.

both species are temperate/low tropical not cold-water and may require additional heating if temperature does not remain within specified limits (most of the time)

draconiz

Postby draconiz » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:11 am

Thank you. P@home are refusing to sell anything labelled tropical intended for a temperate tank (had the same problem when i tried buying nerite snails from them)
90l aquarium with 8 platies (all female apparently), 2 Hong Kong plecs, some algae and 20 moss balls

Dave Godfrey

Postby Dave Godfrey » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:28 pm

Tell them its a low-end tropical tank, and really confuse them.

I would recommend getting a heater for the winter if your house isn't particularly warm, but if it doesn't get below about 22 degrees then you won't really need it. You could try photographing your thermometer and then showing them the SF pages for platies and BN plecos.
Loaches and minnows and shrimp! Oh my!

draconiz

Postby draconiz » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:52 pm

Haha. Thanks for the reply.
(Don't get me wrong, I understand why they go to the effort, and it's good that they are beginning to actually care about fish, it's just annoying to have to jump through so many hoops for a 'hardy' fish)
They know it's temperate and realistically there's only about 3 degrees between their tropical and temperate range.

They were selling some nice coloured platies under tropical and orange ones under temperate. So i gave them all the information I've read and they beat me with logic. They said they COULD sell me the tropical ones, but because of the temperature difference between shop and home they'd die. I can't make a tropical bred fish temperate but i can put a heater in my temperate tank and make it tropical - so once it's a more established/lived in tank i can shove a heater in and get a plec.

But i don't really want a tropical tank. It's only one more plug socket to find, but it's still a plug socket to find (got my filter and 2 sets of led lights), one more thing to worry about etc so i think I'll stay temperate and try to find a plec that's been bred as temperate.

Dave Godfrey

Postby Dave Godfrey » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:17 pm

The thing is its just nonsense. They're probably selling Celestial Pearl Danios as "tropicals". I'd not keep them above 24 degrees C. Mine are in a tank where the heater barely turns on, but its there just in case I need it. Now I'd never try that with a Betta, but equally I'd never keep CPDs as warm as a betta likes. "Tropical" and "Temperate" are relative terms, and there's no hard and fast dividing line between the two.

The problem is not that you have to jump through hoops for a "hardy fish"- just because a fish is tolerant of a wide range of parameters is no reason to be selling them to anybody, its that they're ignoring the fact that you have fish that will be perfectly fine together. One will be happier at cooler temperatures than the other, but there's a wide enough overlap that as long as your tank stays at about 22-23 year round you should have no problem with either fish (and I'd recommend getting a heater just in case it doesn't).

There are very few specifically "temperate" plecs. The only ones you're likely to see are Chaetostoma (aka "Bulldog Plecos"), which, like the Hong Kong Plecos you mentioned in your other thread like hillstream conditions, so even if you don't have a plug socket for a heater, you'll need one for your powerheads/circulation pump/etc.
Loaches and minnows and shrimp! Oh my!

draconiz

Postby draconiz » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:25 pm

Good point.

I think I'll avoid the Hong Kong hillside loach. I was a bit dubious about them anyway if I'm honest.

I think I'll stick with platies, they're sorta fun to watch in the group I've got now (8) - I've got a heater so in winter if i need to i can plug in if the temperatures really drop. I know platies won't like the cooler months as much as black moors did.

Thanks for the help :0)

Return to “Other Coldwater fish”