adventure into cold water tanks

Discussions about all the other cold water fish which are available including native fish.
fcmf

Re: adventure into cold water tanks

Postby fcmf » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:55 pm

I think perhaps my comment about responsibility wasn't contextualised as well as it could have been - essentially, the responsibility for all the aspects I mentioned lies with the (prospective) fishkeeper, not with the shops/manufacturers, etc. [In some countries such as Germany/Switzerland, it's illegal for tanks under the minimum footprint size I mentioned to be marketed as suitable for fish and pictures on them can not include fish - unfortunately, this is not the case in the UK.]

In terms of tropical fish, even the micro species (eg micro rasboras, microdevario kubotai, celestial pearl danio, ember tetra, pygmy cory) are recommended to be kept in tanks of either 60x30cm or 45x30cm minimum footprint, and are increasingly being recommended to be kept in larger shoals than just the bare minimum 6+ if they are to fare well, and thus a larger tank to accommodate these larger numbers. The recommendation for a single betta is 45x30cm although many find that larger is required again.

ubos100

Postby ubos100 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:09 pm

fcmf wrote:I think perhaps my comment about responsibility wasn't contextualised as well as it could have been - essentially, the responsibility for all the aspects I mentioned lies with the (prospective) fishkeeper, not with the shops/manufacturers, etc. [In some countries such as Germany/Switzerland, it's illegal for tanks under the minimum footprint size I mentioned to be marketed as suitable for fish and pictures on them can not include fish - unfortunately, this is not the case in the UK.]

In terms of tropical fish, even the micro species (eg micro rasboras, microdevario kubotai, celestial pearl danio, ember tetra, pygmy cory) are recommended to be kept in tanks of either 60x30cm or 45x30cm minimum footprint, and are increasingly being recommended to be kept in larger shoals than just the bare minimum 6+ if they are to fare well, and thus a larger tank to accommodate these larger numbers. The recommendation for a single betta is 45x30cm although many find that larger is required again.

think i may have taken it the wrong way a bit as well looking back at it, long **** day at work...
anyway, your point is taken, was a thought. looks like it will get used for something else, have heard a few people use fluidised bed filter for freshwater, might have a crack at making one.
or i might just use it for collecting my change in. fill it up and i reckon that would be a nice holiday :)

Dave Godfrey

Postby Dave Godfrey » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:34 pm

There's no reason why you couldn't grow some nice plants in it. Maybe something that's a bit more demanding. If you could get a lid for it it might make a nice terrarium.
Loaches and minnows and shrimp! Oh my!

ubos100

Postby ubos100 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:03 am

Dave Godfrey wrote:There's no reason why you couldn't grow some nice plants in it. Maybe something that's a bit more demanding. If you could get a lid for it it might make a nice terrarium.

will find something to do with it, no worries there. might have to dig out my old 2 foot tank. might have a redesign on my 4 foot tank, not really happy with the layout when i moved

gib

Postby gib » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:48 pm

Cherry shrimp might work if it's planted.

ubos100

Postby ubos100 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:13 pm

gib wrote:Cherry shrimp might work if it's planted.

always fancied some shrimp but i know they can be supper sensitive to the water quality, id worry about keeping 25 litres stable, but i guess if there no fish it wouldnt be to much of as worry.

Dave Godfrey

Postby Dave Godfrey » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:53 pm

Its still a small volume and they are a pain to deal with, even if its just shrimp. I gave up on my 27L cube as being too much hassle for that reason.
Loaches and minnows and shrimp! Oh my!

M Raw

Postby M Raw » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:51 pm

Once your tank is cycled (putting well used filter media in you filter will do this instantly) red cherry should be fine in there they are not difficult to look after at all. Once they have settled a few will become quite a few more and ultimately LOADS more. they do not requite specialized diets they can easily manage on general fish foods, algae bits of squashed peas and anything a standard fish would eat

Return to “Other Coldwater fish”