54L Lake Inle Biotope

Show off your tanks, or start a blog about a tank. Please USE A PROPER DESCRIPTIVE TITLE!.
Gruff

Postby Gruff » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:58 am

It's surprising you can't find Danio erythromicron, Cathface is in London and bought some not so long ago. Could whatever your closest LFS is not order some in for you?
Grr-uh-ff. One hand washes the other..

Dave Godfrey

Postby Dave Godfrey » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:42 am

It perplexes me too. I shall have to ask if they can. I'm sure they probably would.
Loaches and minnows and shrimp! Oh my!

Dave Godfrey

Postby Dave Godfrey » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:59 pm

So I went up to Wildwoods to see if they had any of the Danio erythromicron that they had in according to TropicalFishFinder, and couldn't find hide nor hair of them.

So I bought 5 Yunnanilius sp. "rosy" (which are probably all male as even the palest appears to have some colour on it), and 8 Danio margaritatus. They seem to be settling in nicely, although I'll probably pop down to ADC and see if they have any more knocking around.

I would post photos, but my card reader is refusing to work.

Dave Godfrey

Postby Dave Godfrey » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:22 pm

Quick update on this:

Sadly the Least Killies died out on me, so I've finally given up on keeping them. So I moved the Sawbwa out of the Rosy Loach/Galaxy Rasbora tank, and into the other 54L. And joy of joys was able to find some Celestichthys erythromicron. (And even better news it looks like one of the other LFS's has some more in, so I'll pop by them over the next couple of days.

I'm still struggling a bit with the planting. The Ludwigia repens "rubin" is not happy, which is a pity. Blyxa is impossible for me to keep on sand. I need to be using a rich substrate, CO2, etc.

So the plants I have which seem to be doing OK are Elodea canadensis, and Najas gramiea. I should try again with Rotala rotundifolia, but if it grows at all for me it ends up leggy and horrible looking, not a nice dense bushy plant that I'm hoping for. If I could find Nymphoides indica I'd give it a go, although I might just swap it for Nymphoides hydrophylla (I have some in another tank that I'm trying to revive after it started dying off in this one, almost certainly due to lack of nutrients. I'll try it again when it's looking better, this time with lots of root tabs around it.

The fish mostly stick to the upper two thirds of the tank, so I'd like something to provide a bit of interest at the bottom (its rather bare looking right now). I've got a healthy population of MTS's I can bulk up from elsewhere, but what I really want are Caridina cf. barbaulti- Caridina barbaulti (or at least something identified as that and belonging to the species complex) is known from Inle, along with Melanoides tuberculata.

Dave Godfrey

Re: 54L Lake Inle Biotope

Postby Dave Godfrey » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:38 am

Did a bit of a tweak to the two 54L tanks. Well I say a "tweak"... I seem to have gradually lost most of my erythromicrons over the last year or so, and I've definitely lost a couple of the Inle microrasboras recently. The plants in the Inle 'tope are doing fine with their new flourite sand substrate. The fish in the rosy loach tank are also very happy. But the plants aren't - probably a combination of old substrate and old bulbs.

So I've moved everything over to the Inle tank and have given up on it being biotope correct. I'd love to take a photo, but it's been nearly a week and the water's still brown from the disturbed sediment. (I really should have picked up some water clarifier).

But I have a spare tank, so what to do? It's only 54L, and I have rock hard water, so Multies! Three of them. They've already claimed a shell each, and I think I need to order some escargot shells to give them a bit of variety. I hope they're not all the same gender, I'd quite like some babies.

Benauld

Postby Benauld » Fri May 19, 2017 7:23 pm

Lol, I looked this up before I saw the date of your original post, but thought I'd add it anyway for anybody wanting to do anything similar. Couldn't see anything about Ceratopteris or Blyxa either but did find this:

https://cmsdata.iucn.org/downloads/ib_c ... region.pdf

"Natural vegetation:

Much of the surface of the lake is covered by floating vegetation, both as the floating gardens, but also extensive stands of native plants,
including Azolla pinnata, a Lemna species recorded as L. minor but probably L. tenerum, Ottelia alismoides, Nymphaea nouchallii,
Nymphoides indica and Salvinia cucullata, as well as Eichhornia crassipes and Nelumbo nucifera which have been introduced. The
submerged vegetation is diverse, including Ceratophyllum demersum, Elodea canadensis, Hippuris vulgaris, Hydrilla verticillata,
Myriophyllum verticillatum, Najas graminea, Potamogeton alpinus, P. crispus, P. lucens, P. nodosus, P. obtusifolius, P. perfoliatus, Ruppia
maritima, Stuckenia pectinata, Utricularia aurea and Vallisneria spiralis. In areas without floating gardens, the margins support extensive
stands of tall monocots, dominated by Phragmites karka and Typha angustifolia, with species such as Arundinella decempedalis,
Cyperus cyperoides subsp. cyperoides, C. digitatus, Echinochloa crus-pavonis and Schoenoplectus lacustris. Marshy areas support
a diverse range of plants, among which there may be a range of smaller marginal plants including Ammannia baccifera, Colocasia
esculenta, Dichrocephala integrifolia, Fimbristylis aestivalis, Gahnia javanica, Lasia spinosa, Lythrum salicaria, Monochoria vaginalis, Rotala rotundifolia, Schoenoplectiella supina, Sagittaria sagittifolia and Salix tetrasperma. Marginal areas, shallow water, seasonal
pools and occasionally the water gardens support a range of aquatic and marginal plants such as Eclipta alba, Elephantopus spicatus,
Eryngium foetidum, Hygrophila auriculata, Ludwigia octovalvis, Phyla nodiflora, Plantago major, Polygonum aviculare, Polygonum
plebejum, Veronica anagallis-aquatica and Xanthium strumarium.

Aquatic and marginal plants which occur in rice fields in the area include Alisma plantago-aquatica, Cyperus difformis, Eriocaulon
quinquangulare. Fimbristylis dichotoma, Hypericum japonicum, Ipomoea aquatica, Ludwigia repens, Monochoria hastata, Ottelia
alismoides, Sagittaria sagittifolia and Utricularia flexuosa. Common vegetation of the floating islands includes Cyperus digitatus,
Cladium jamaicensis, Cephalanthus occidentalis and the ferns Adiantum edgeworthii and Thelypteris interrupta".

Richard V. Lansdown.

Dave Godfrey

Postby Dave Godfrey » Mon May 29, 2017 11:03 am

Yep, that ended up being my main source for plants. Lots of options there, although not all would survive underwater. I bet you could grow a bunch emersed in a good sized tank. Ooh, now that would be an interesting project for an open-topped tank with a lumiere- if it was a good-sized tank you could keep a shoal of the "danio" with the loach, or a even a pair of the snakeheads.

Return to “My Tanks & Aquarium blogs”