Is LED lighting PAR for the course?

Post your marine tank related stuff and general enquiries in this forum.
jim the bin

Postby jim the bin » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:34 pm

Sanjay's said he's done the AI sols now down in the comments on the link. Hopefully they will be published soon.

smudges reef

Postby smudges reef » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:42 pm

interesting that none of the tests are done over water..ii cant work out how this wouldnt change results??

geologeek

Postby geologeek » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:55 pm

"smudges reef" wrote:I love this bit...

None of these are better than a 250watt halide if i am reading all the graphs right but they are better then a 175watt halide for less watts. Thats something. I think people expect LEDs to be much brighter than halides, like 160watt LED can beat a 250watt halide but i don't think this is even theoritically possible.

Both the ATI and KR-92 outperformed a 250watt halide in my test - so both T5's and LED's can do :)
Go Slow And Let It Grow! - But remember Detritus Happens!

smudges reef

Postby smudges reef » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:59 pm

"geologeek" wrote:Both the ATI and KR-92 outperformed a 250watt halide in my test - so both T5's and LED's can do :)

i know.. :O (..in the mean time ill keep burning electricity untill i can afford one of them units you have..lol

jim the bin

Postby jim the bin » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:53 am

Take the fans off the ati and you will see the difference ;)

Pretty much of a muchness to me the t5 and halide depends on bulbs / tubes and ballasts and to be fair you need to change t5 tubes more often than MH to retain the par.

Can't argue with the K92 seriously bangs out the old par but in theory any system running similar cree 3 watts with similar optics and spacing should do about the same.

smudges reef

Postby smudges reef » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:14 am

what halide unit was used..reflector...make of bulb?.....

would be intersting to do a test with a cheap and an expensive bulb to see if You get what you pay for... :o )

reefman

Postby reefman » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:04 am

I had a similar dilema for my new system. Halides, T5, or LEDs - Halides I think were first off my list due to heat issues and running costs, I'd seen the Acracadia led / T5 combo but then thinking once leds fail the unit is pretty redundant which left me with the ATI's as I'd seen some impressive set up. LEDs I guess nice but expensive and you have to a large outlay once they've seen their life out after 5 years or so.

I couldn't decide on the PM or the other basic 8 tube one and when I went to see them in the flesh the so to speak the stockist had the Vertex range - and I was immediately impressed - they'd looked at the upgrading issue and made the unit modular led pads can be added, replaced swapped over etc. The whole unit is a great design and is one big heatsink. After some more research and costing I felt the investment was well worth it offsetting the power savings against the initial cost, no replacement bulbs/tubes to buy and the controllability afforded. In 5-7 years when I may need to consider replacement we may have something totally different - Plasma anyone?

I can DIY most things electrical but there is no way I could have produced something similar to what I have - Mines the illumina 200 (a higher output 260 is available) suitable for depth to 24"

Check this out http://forum.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/showthread.php?t=79351&highlight=vertex
The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever.*Jacques Yves Cousteau*

smudges reef

Postby smudges reef » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:31 am

i looked in to plasma...big expectations that died a death. they only did a 6.500K whih made every thing look brown..my research and yes i would have choose plasma over halide..

I know what your saying about DIY..im the same but dont think i could put a led unit together as well as the shop ones

reefman

Postby reefman » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:28 am

Its not so much the electrics but what you mount them in and aesthetics of what you end up with - basically in my case at least would it pass the keeping the other half happy test?
She actually thinks the Vertex looks nice :)
The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever.*Jacques Yves Cousteau*

jim the bin

Postby jim the bin » Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:11 pm

"smudges reef" wrote:what halide unit was used..reflector...make of bulb?.....

would be intersting to do a test with a cheap and an expensive bulb to see if You get what you pay for... :o )

Consistancy is the problem with cheap bulbs also the actual place they get the bulbs from varies to get the cheapest bulb. So one time they may be from one manufacturing base then another someone else has supplied them.

Return to “Marine fishkeeping”