Ready to take the plunge.

Post your marine tank related stuff and general enquiries in this forum.
Derkster

Ready to take the plunge.

Postby Derkster » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:00 pm

Hi all,

The time has come for me to have and run a marine tank. I have been thinking about this for over 12 months now. I binned the idea as I was going to keep malawi cichlids but my water is to soft. This would mean that I would need to buffer my water so if I am going to put that much effort in then why not get the fish I have always dreamed of.

I paid a visit to Abyss in Stockport last week and was convinced there and then that it was easy and possible, however I was still unsure. I have done alot of reading on here especially Gavlar30 and Bill19's post and also visited my LFS over the weekend. Those posts where ideal for somebody like me, fair play to you both they was an excellent read . But I still have questions.

Is it best to post all in one post or should I separate them with different titles. I have got the basics but just need a few finer points asking.

daz4321

Re: Ready to take the plunge.

Postby daz4321 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:12 pm

might as well go all in one thread even if each has a separate post.

Derkster

Postby Derkster » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:28 pm

As i was originally going for tropical i have (kind of) bought a Juwel Rio 240, i havent even collected it yet. I could do with some help converting it and wanted to see if anybody had any experience or knowledge of the tank. I have a few questions

1. I can buy a skimmer for this tank but does it take the place of the internal filter

2. If it doesn't can i use the filter in the tank

3. If it does this would mean i would have no filter unless i buy an external canister (i was going to do this with tropical). Will live rock be sufficient or will i need the canister as well?

4. I was going to change the tubes out for the LED conversion kit. Does anybody know if you can control different colours or do i need the night/day control unit as well? Bare in mind the lights are £180 and the unit is £80.

5. I know ideally i should have a sump but could i do without one and if so what should i beware of?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have got loads more to come though

mpward1976

Postby mpward1976 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:48 am

Hi I have decided to take the plunge into marine fish keeping also, here is where I am at. I also visit the Abyss in Stockport regularly:

Hi All,

I have been keep tropical fish successfully for many years now and I feel that I am ready for a new adventure into the Marine fish keeping world.

I have done a lot of reading up on it and I can continue to do so but I am getting quite confused now in what equipment I am going to need to make my dive info Marine Fisj keeping a successful one.

I have brought a 2nd hand Fluval Roma 90 fish tank and I am in the process of stripping it all down and giving it a good clean in readiness for my new marine set up.

Now this is what is confusing me. Some marine fish keepers swear by external canister filters and some say that they are not needed in a marine setup and they will just cause more issues than it is worth because of the nitrate build up and with having to clean them out at least once a week? Is this true are they not recommended for a marine setup? My local aquarium store seems to think that they are ? Next we move onto a protein skimmer. My tank is 90litres, will I require one? I have seen a fluval roma 90 setup video online where they used a tank like mine for a marine setup and only had a power head/heater/fluval protein skimmer and live rock and coral to start with. Is that enough?

Also what is worrying me a lot is the need for RO water and having to keep going to my local store for when I want to do a water change. Would the cost in doing this not keep adding up? Is it better that I get an RO unit installed at home?

Lastly the lighting unit that came with my tank is a T8 lighting unit. The original starter unit in the hood must have broken in the past and now an external glo system powered the light unit. Will I need to upgrade the bulbs or convert to an led unit for marine?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks.

Mat

mpward1976

Postby mpward1976 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:51 am

This link is useful:

showthread.php?t=132203

Thanks.

Mat

mpward1976

Postby mpward1976 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:31 am

daz4321

Postby daz4321 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:21 pm

Derkster wrote:As i was originally going for tropical i have (kind of) bought a Juwel Rio 240, i havent even collected it yet. I could do with some help converting it and wanted to see if anybody had any experience or knowledge of the tank. I have a few questions

1. I can buy a skimmer for this tank but does it take the place of the internal filter

2. If it doesn't can i use the filter in the tank

3. If it does this would mean i would have no filter unless i buy an external canister (i was going to do this with tropical). Will live rock be sufficient or will i need the canister as well?

4. I was going to change the tubes out for the LED conversion kit. Does anybody know if you can control different colours or do i need the night/day control unit as well? Bare in mind the lights are £180 and the unit is £80.

5. I know ideally i should have a sump but could i do without one and if so what should i beware of?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have got loads more to come though

1. Sort of... a skimmer is 'part' of the filtration used in marines but is not essential as water changes can do the same thing.

2. If you convert it slightly to be mechanical and chemical filtration only.

3. Live rock is the biological filter in most marine systems anything else added (internal filter,external filter etc is just used for mechanical and chemical)

4. Only go for led if you think it is needed i.e. you wish to keep corals in which case make sure it is powerful enough and covers the correct spectrum.

5. sumps mainly are used to hide equipment and provide extra volume, without a sump most equipment will be on show (and probably noisier because it is no in a cabinet).

the above are all answered in assumption that you are going fowlr(Fish Only With Live Rock) or reef if you are just wanting fish then the answers change slightly ...

1. same

2. ran just like a tropical tank

3. no live rock so external and internal ran like tropical

4. led's not needed unless just to save electricity

5. same

Return to “Marine fishkeeping”