PLEASE HELP RESCUE GOLDFISH!

Freshwater livestock for sale or wanted. place your ad here.
Lucyloftuscook

PLEASE HELP RESCUE GOLDFISH!

Postby Lucyloftuscook » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:51 pm

:cry:
I'm in desperate need of help!

I have rescused a goldfish who is in a bowl WAY to small for even the tiniest of fish. He is (I've been told) a couple of years old. I've done the best I can with the bowl he's in for now (50% water change, added tapsafe which the owners were NOT using!) but I cannot keep him in the bowl, as it is cruel, it must only be around 5litres. I also do not have the money or space to buy a suitable size aquarium for him. Please can anybody rescue him? I live in Barnet, north london. I'm happy to drive him to you or you could collect. I've got two tubs of aquarian flake food with him too.

Please somebody be his knight in shining armour! I'd love to see him go to a pond or large aquarium where he will have a nice life and hopefully grow. I'm already attached but I know I cannot keep him without causing suffering.

Thank you!
I would attach a photo but the website says it is too large, let me know if you'd like to see one and I could email it to you...

Fingers and toes crossed!

Margaret

Re: PLEASE HELP RESCUE GOLDFISH!

Postby Margaret » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:59 pm

Hi Lucy.Sorry no one has replied.The best thing you can do right now for him is to fill a strong plastic storage box with water,getting it near to the temperature of the bowl.Dechlorinate it and set up a pump,if you haven't one yet,don't panic.You can move him into it straight away The more water he is in,the less it will be poisoned by the ammonia he produces.How he hasn't succumbed so far I don't know.A similar thing happened to someone here a few months ago and she worked wonders with him.Even if you don't want to keep him he will be much more comfortable in a larger space.

As for putting him in a pond,it is a little late in the year to be doing that.I would try advertising locally for a home for him,some people do keep their goldfish in tanks,so someone may have him.It is unlikely you will find anyone on here.I would join the Practical Fishkeeping group on facebook,you may have more luck on there.If not,.don't worry we can talk you through all the stages of his recovery.And very well done for caring ,and getting him away from such a miserable existence.

Lucyloftuscook

Postby Lucyloftuscook » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:56 am

Thank you for your detailed response!
Because all I was thinking about was getting him a new home I didn't even think about a storage box being adequate for him! By the time I saw these messages it was too late to get one.

I have now idea how he, (temporarily named hope) has survived two years! He can barely move inside the bowl :( he's eating very happily though and showing no real signs of disease or white spot etc. He is missing a few scales though, is this stress?

I'm really pleased to say though, I've had an abundance of replies on another site. I've had people offering tanks, ponds etc and am just choosing the best one for him to go to. He will he picked up today! I'm sad to let him go but over the moon he will be properly cared for and I feel so happy he won't be kept the way he was!

happy endings!

Thank you everybody!

Margaret

Postby Margaret » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:41 am

That is great news,well done.I hate bowls with a passion as does any caring fish owner.There is a lot more to keeping fish than many people realise and sadly many fish suffer and die before the owner either asks for help or just ditches the idea altogether.
Please let us know where is going to.He may be ok in a pond now the weather is mild at the moment.It is indeed the best place for any common goldfish.I have an 1800 gallon one for mine,and love it.Hard work but a real pleasure to see the fish enjoy the space.

Lucyloftuscook

Postby Lucyloftuscook » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:48 am

UPDATE:

Thank you to everyone who responded. Hope is going to a local pond, owned by a man who rescues fish. Very, very happy!

Return to “Freshwater livestock”