Will my aquarium cycle like this?

Questions, tips and advice on how to mature an aquarium and biological filtration. Along with related questions about ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.
draconiz

Will my aquarium cycle like this?

Postby draconiz » Sun May 14, 2017 6:41 pm

Ok, i had an aquarium set up with moss and stones and fish.

The fish didn't make it so i had an empty tank for a few months (Stress and bloat from a house move i think)

The tank got a good clean, all decorations thrown out and new gravel. Filter also cleaned out.
New water out in with the existing moss balls.

This was 5 months ago.
Due to not being able to find it (and having a young baby to look after) I've not out the filter back in yet. I've also not changed any of the water so I've grown a bit of algae...

I know. Not great unless my aquarium is to be stocked with something that likes to eat algae (always an option, they're fun to watch)

My question is (because i don't know where my water test kit went when we moved) how likely is it the aquarium will be at least partly cycled or do i need to start again and put the filter in and play with chemicals?

If it's any help, I'm planning on the inhabitants to be either neon tetras or cloud minnows (i know they can't live together so it's either or) - at pets at home the care guides say the tetras need an established aquarium - guessing it has to be cycled perfectly before adding them.

I don't currently know any ph values or nitrite and nitrate Vs ammonia readings. I'm just after a rough idea as to whether I'm going to be happy or majorly disappointed when my water kit arrives.
90l aquarium with 8 platies (all female apparently), 2 Hong Kong plecs, some algae and 20 moss balls

2l glass jar with 2 platy fry and a moss ball

daz4321

Re: Will my aquarium cycle like this?

Postby daz4321 » Sun May 14, 2017 6:54 pm

your water will probably test OK however as you have no fish there is no waste to provide poor test results.

It is the filter that cycles not the tank, bacteria will grow on the surfaces in your tank but they need to be in the filter to be efficient especially once you add any fish.

You need to get the filter installed and running then provide an ammonia source (not live fish) only then will you get a true vision of where the cycle is without harming anything.

draconiz

Postby draconiz » Sun May 14, 2017 6:59 pm

Thanks.

I had an awful feeling the answer might be something like that.

I wouldn't use live fish to cycle a tank, I'll get the filter in soon as i can do and let it build up some bacteria.

Do you think the ammonia will kill my moss balls? Or should i take them out first?
90l aquarium with 8 platies (all female apparently), 2 Hong Kong plecs, some algae and 20 moss balls

draconiz

Postby draconiz » Sun May 14, 2017 7:00 pm

Thanks.

I had an awful feeling the answer might be something like that.

I wouldn't use live fish to cycle a tank, I'll get the filter in soon as i can do and let it build up some bacteria.

Do you think the ammonia will kill my moss balls? Or should i take them out first?

daz4321

Postby daz4321 » Sun May 14, 2017 9:27 pm

Plants including moss balls use ammonia as a food source so the usual levels used to cycle a filter will not harm them directly, but ammonia can give algae a boost which can overwhelm the plants.

Return to “Biological filtration and cycling”