High ammonia in my tap water, what do?

Questions, tips and advice on how to mature an aquarium and biological filtration. Along with related questions about ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.
Sally:)

High ammonia in my tap water, what do?

Postby Sally:) » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:50 pm

When I first set up my tank I tested my tap water peramiters, 8 pH, around 200 ppm KH and a solid 500ppm GH, around 50 ppm nitrAte and a 0 reading for nitrite and ammonia. I live in mid norfolk and my tap water comes directly form a borehole, the water naturally filters throw a chalk aquifer so as you can imagine my water is pretty damn hard (my power showers hardly last 6 months). To begin with I had no ammonia readings from my tank so I added a few flakes of fish food, the next day I had an ammonia reading off the scale, I didn't worry because I'm fishless cycling, after no change in a week and a half I added safe start after a 50 percent water change, it's been a further week and a half and there has been no change at all, still no nitrite and still high ammonia, my nitrate is going down but the tank is planted so that's not supprising. I've been 25% water changes every few days because the driftwood in the tank is still leaching out tannins and I was hoping that the water changes might reduce the ammonia, today I realised that it would be a good idea to retest my tap water and to my surprise I found off the chart readings. I don't know where it's come from as it wasn't there just a few weeks ago. I don't want to use RO water because it would completely change my water chemistry and using a water conditioner seems pointless because of my pH level. I really don't know what to do. Is there anything other than bacteria that removes ammonia or am I just going to have to hope the bacteria in my tank get their act together and eat all the ammonia up. It's a 25 gallon tank running at 22c with a sponge filter and an aquael filter that came with the tank (mainly using it for water circulation) and an air stone running off the same pump as the filter. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

daz4321

Re: High ammonia in my tap water, what do?

Postby daz4321 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:07 pm

ammonia in drinking water is unacceptable and in public water supplies is illegal in the uk and you need to get advice.

http://dwi.defra.gov.uk/consumers/advic ... ewregs.pdf

this covers private water supply and indicates where you need to get help and advice from.

Return to “Biological filtration and cycling”