New fancy goldfish help - possible finrot

Discussion about all types of goldfish, including fancy varieties such as black moors, comets, shubunkins, orandas, ranchus, lionheads, etc
Sam D

New fancy goldfish help - possible finrot

Postby Sam D » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:16 am

Hi all. Usual problems here I was with my sister who was shopping for shrimp and fell in love with a red and black fantail in the shop. I did not buy him but my well meaning relative (not sister who knows about fish) surprised me with him and a black moor a couple of days later complete with totally inadequate tank etc.... (she told shop it was going to sisters tank to "get around" the regs!!)

Anyway Frank the fantail and Ava are now in my house and I do love them! I have a new interim tank coming today (60 litres until I can afford to upgrade again!). They both are alert happy foraging and eating well they have pellets and the odd pea and leafy greens. The tank also has a live plant in it long with an air driven bio filter. It is as good as I can make it for a temporary home. It has been about a week. They are both very small Frank is less than an inch long and Ava just over an inch.

Water parameters are doing ok with lots of water changes etc.:

Ammonia 0
Nitrate 10-25
Nitrite 0-0.5
GH all >14 except the last on the JBL strip which is >21
KH 6
PH 7.2
Cl2 0

One of the reasons I loved Frank was that he had a pretty red swirl on his dorsal. Turns out that in my ignorance I hadn't realised that this was actually an injury/something as it healed and disappeared. He was left with a pinhole which did not look inflamed and seemed to be healing well. Now though there is a tiny white mark and today a bit of his fin missing. Ava has also got a bit of her dorsal missing and a silvery looking scale on her side. My question is is this finrot or trauma?

If it is finrot should I treat or just carry keeping water very clean (I know a fish less cycle should have been done but we are were we are). I have read both advice. I will transfer to the new tank and carry on the cycling in there as there seems little point in continuing to cycle the small one.

Also how soon realistically will they outgrow a 60l - I will get a 120 as soon as a reasonable second hand option is available but would like to know when critical to upgrade?

Please don't be too harsh as I am well aware of the far from ideal situation and now I am just trying to do my very best for Frank and Ava. :|

Many thanks.

daz4321

Re: New fancy goldfish help - possible finrot

Postby daz4321 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:31 pm

http://injaf.org/aquarium-fish/the-gold ... -goldfish/

basically tank size is very important for continued health and well being of the fish into the future, any damage caused by a small tank will more than likely effect the fish into its future life.

So as for tank, as big as you can as soon as you can, read the link I posted at the top fully for an idea of expected growth in a healthy environment.

The good news is that almost anything can make a temporary tank (storage boxes in the large sizes can be used, I have even used an old fibreglass bath tub in the past)

Sam D

Postby Sam D » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:45 pm

Great link thanks! Also like the sticky post on this forum as I was getting soooo confused with all the advice out there and beginning to think that I should find a way to dig a pond!

Having recently toured a number of places like PaH and some aquatics connected to garden centres everyone should have those displays - would stop well meaning presents! Well actually the person in question did not believe me until I showed them the pictures!!! Another interesting thing that has occurred to me is that the vast majority of these establishments have very clearly overstocked and very cramped tanks. Has the damage been done already? Or do we just hope that we have got the little chaos in time?

Also good to know regarding temporary homes would have to figure a way to keep the cats out though.... :shock:

Any thoughts on the possible finrot issue please?

daz4321

Postby daz4321 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:29 pm

with finrot clean water is best and only treat if that fails to help imo. Trouble is that the smaller the quantity of the water (the smaller the tank) the harder it is to keep the water 'clean'.

trade tanks work on the principle that 1, the fish are only there until purchased and 2, most trade systems are linked i.e. that 60l tank is connected to 4 others and a 200l sump filter (500l system).

Sam D

Postby Sam D » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:02 pm

Thank you well in a few hours they'll be in a much much bigger tank (actually it's an 80l - got my specs wrong!) and I'll get them the final destination based on the sticky post advice just as soon as possible. Now anyone in Essex got a second hand one? :D :D :D iThankfully I have the time at the moment to keep on top of daily changes!

"trade tanks work on the principle that 1, the fish are only there until purchased and 2, most trade systems are linked i.e. that 60l tank is connected to 4 others and a 200l sump filter (500l system)."
D'uh oh yeah - guess I'm getting hung up on space vs chemistry again! Both are important but chemistry far more pressing!

Wish me luck!

fcmf

Postby fcmf » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:02 pm

Sounds like best not to mention anything about tempting fish to the well-meaning relative again, or, if so, only with the addition of "at least we now know that goldfish require a tank of x size and that no more than x fish can fit in a tank of that size" - or you'll find yourself in the situation of them thinking that the large tank you eventually end up with can house more fish than you already have. You have been warned! :)

As for a larger tank, this is potentially a good place to look: www.aquarist-classifieds.co.uk and do an advanced search for Essex. For example, I've spotted this on the first page: http://www.aquarist-classifieds.co.uk/p ... 423889.php

Sam D

Postby Sam D » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:44 pm

Yes keeping my mouth shut in future! Don't see her often and she likes to spoil me (so far cost me a small fortune!!!! :roll: ) She was visibly shocked at the size of grown up fish and kept saying that wasn't the same as Frank....

Tank is set up - it was filthy and not in a good bacteria kind of way! Need new filter media but lucked out with new set of ceramic rings. Will stuff it with old filter media when I transfer tomorrow now need to equal temp.

Many thanks for the site tip - hadn't found that. Will keep my eye on it along with eBay Shpock etc.

Thanks everyone :D

Return to “Goldfish”