Advice wanted for fancy goldfish and pond.

Discussion about all types of goldfish, including fancy varieties such as black moors, comets, shubunkins, orandas, ranchus, lionheads, etc
Ellathomas123

Advice wanted for fancy goldfish and pond.

Postby Ellathomas123 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:10 pm

Hello,

I apologise if a similar question/topic has been answered before. I am unable to find anything other than a wishy washy answer on Google.

I have one fancy goldfish in a 60 litre tank (13 gallons roughly) with 3 danios and 2 corys. I know mixing tropical fish and goldfish is frowned upon, but it was a year ago, I had less experience and a shop assistant said it would be fine :o . I would say the goldfish is a 'standard' fancy, most probably a fantail. I'm looking to get a small pond, around 80-100 gallons. I'm thinking of putting the goldfish in the pond as I know 13 gallons is far too small for him. It will be one of them free standing patio ponds. I would plan to get a few more goldfish but not fancy ones.
What are people's thoughts on this?
Can you put a heater in a pond?
I live in Derbyshire in the UK which can dip below freezing in the winter.

Just a few comments on 'the orange one', he is a greedy guts, was originally with a black moor who died and would bully to get food (this might make him hardy against common goldfish?), I've had him about a year and 2months, he is about 5 inches long inc tail. His tank is around 20 degrees at the minute. Has been known to get hotter and colder as its in a bedroom. Healthy strong fish, I have Api water testing kit and do water changes every week. Mixed diet of flakes, pellets, algae and peas.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, any ideas or advice would be great fully received.

Return to “Goldfish”