Zebra nerite snail

All other fresh water inverts such as snails, crab & crayfish discussed here.
Ed2014

Zebra nerite snail

Postby Ed2014 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:02 pm

Hi,

Please can some one tell me if the Zebra nerite snail has a Operculum (trap door)?
My one does not seem to have one is it going to be okay?

Thanks

Dave Godfrey

Re: Zebra nerite snail

Postby Dave Godfrey » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:23 pm

They do, but you don't see them unless they close their shell up completely, and then you should see the white edges of the inner part of the shell, surrounding the beige-ish operculum. Have you got a photograph to show us? In my experience the operculum doesn't come off unless the snail is dead.
Loaches and minnows and shrimp! Oh my!

Ed2014

Postby Ed2014 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:28 am

Thanks for the reply. I've taken a closer look, trying not to disturb it, I can see what you describe.
It is alive as it's partially open and I can see it moving ever so slightly. However, it has not moved from its position at the bottom of the tank for 24hours.

It is new to the tank (2 days) though, so would it just be getting used to this? Acclimatised over 2hrs before I put it in.

Thanks

Dave Godfrey

Postby Dave Godfrey » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:39 am

Probably. Leave it to settle, and it should start moving around sooner or later.
Loaches and minnows and shrimp! Oh my!

fcmf

Postby fcmf » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:54 pm

I wouldn't worry unduly if the snail doesn't move much. I've had a nerite snail for several months now and am getting used to its varied activity levels - it does several circuits of the tank on some days, it stays in the same location for several days at a time on other days, and it disappears altogether for several days at a time (presumably under the substrate, hidden spectacularly or only being active during the night). I've learned to keep an eye on the amount and locations of snail poo as that gives a fairly good indication of whether and how active it has been overnight - sometimes I manage to locate the snail by following the extensive trail of snail poo. :lol:

Ed2014

Postby Ed2014 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:05 pm

Good to know the variety of the "movements" in the tank :roll: I've got two in the tank and one is very active compared to the other.

Thanks for the replies.

Return to “Other Fresh water invertebrates”