Snails

Questions about plants, their care, diseases and other problems.
Elle_95

Snails

Postby Elle_95 » Mon May 15, 2017 9:37 am

I am reducing the number of tanks that I currently have, moved the tetras in with the platys a couple of weeks ago and only cleaned the old tank today. It was well planted and I noticed a couple of snails on there, which I didn't mind as I had one that wasn't a problem before, so put one in each of my other tanks. I then left the tank (which has now been cleaned) for a couple of weeks and today noticed loads of snails in there! I wanted to use the plants from that tank in one of my other tanks, I threw a couple of the plants away that had the most snails on and currently have the other plants that didn't look like they had any snails on soaking in a bucket of salt water. Will the salt water kill and snail eggs or am I best just throwing the plants away? I have also removed the two snails from my other tanks, they were in there for a couple of weeks (one in each) what is the chance that one or both could have laid eggs and is there any way of spotting then?
I feel terrible for removing the snails however I don't want to end up with loads of them like the tank that I cleaned today.
Any help much appreciated.

aquatic finatic

Re: Snails

Postby aquatic finatic » Mon May 15, 2017 5:46 pm

Hi there, I'm sorry to tell you that snails are just a part of fish keeping and sooner or later we all end up with them, there are several ways to help keep their numbers in check (I'm afraid to say you wont be able to eradicate them) firstly heavy snail populations are a sign of over feeding so to start with I would reduce the amount of food you are giving to your water pets, as for the snails you have already you can try adding a snail hunter like loach (clown/zebra) or assasin snails, they will have laid and you won't be able to find them all sorry.
Corys, plecos, Guppy, Killiifish, Gourami, Angels, Rams, Cherry shrimp, Apple snails, assassin snails, Endlers, Haps, Malawis, Dwarf Cichlids Ottos, Dannios, Loaches, Kribs. Maybe it's time to move some of these guys on.. Nah as they say more is better :D

Return to “Aquarium Plants”