I think my plants are dying!!???

Questions about plants, their care, diseases and other problems.
nobby87

I think my plants are dying!!???

Postby nobby87 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:56 pm

Hi Everyone,

I could really do with some help and soon!!! I recently completed a new setup complete with live plants.

I have an Expert 70 which is currently home to 4 Golden Tetra's, 4 Harlequin Raspora's, 3 Armano Shrimp and 4 or 5 assassin Snails... plus yesterday I aquired a single Neon Tetra and 1 Albino Cory Catfish from a friend who needed to rehome them.

Plant wise I have Nana Bonsai, Pogostemon Heferii, Cryptocoryne Parva and Hemianthus Callitrichoides (HC).

They have been in for about 3 weeks almost, give or take a few days. I have been adding liquid carbon weekly and nutrients daily along with approx 50% water change once a week (I had to install a new filter and didnt have time to cycle it due to the old one failing after I moved the fish in). The filter is an external filter that is more than capable for a tank 2-3 times the size of mine and so the water returning in to the tank provides a decent flow around the tank, the Rasbora love swimming against it. All Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate levels appear to be almost perfect, I think one more week and they will be spot on. PH is currently about 7.4, im trying to bring this dowm to 6.8 - 7.0. Water temp is 23c

Im not sure if its the lighting that is the issue or not. I have been leaving the light on all day to try and encourage growth but the HC just does not seem to be growing or spreading at all. virtually all the plants seem to be struggling in some way.

Any help / advise will be greatly appreciated....Thanks!!!!!!!!

Aaron

March 3rd 2017 (when they were first planted.)

March 7th

March 12th

March 27th

And finally a video. (If you find it a bit jumpy trying playing it at half speed in firefox)
http://photos.alcnet.co.uk/fish/20170327_232900.mp4

daz4321

Re: I think my plants are dying!!???

Postby daz4321 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:03 am

you are using a carbon source but only providing trace nutrients. When using additional carbon (gas or 'liquid') you need to provide both the trace nutrients and also macro nutrients.

your lighting needs to be consistent at around 6 hrs a day to start with.

actual parameters for your tank may also help, fine or perfect is not a measurement it is an observation.

nobby87

Postby nobby87 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:17 am

Hi Daz,

Thanks, for the reply....

you are using a carbon source but only providing trace nutrients. When using additional carbon (gas or 'liquid') you need to provide both the trace nutrients and also macro nutrients.

I wasn't aware of this? What would you recommend to resolve this?

My lighting at the moment is practically on all day from when I get up to when I get to bed. I was planning on reducing it down once the plants started to take properly and put the light on a timer.

Thanks

daz4321

Postby daz4321 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:14 am

with the lighting on like that you are trying to run your tank full throttle but are not providing the fuel.

you will need in conjunction with what you are using at the moment a nitrate and phosphate source i.e. easylifes nitro and phosfo products.

in future to save yourself money you may wish to look into EI dosing and using http://www.aquariumplantfood.co.uk/fert ... -kits.html

you also have some plants that require more light than others but do not mention which lights you are using.

In the meantime get that timer sorted and set to 6hr photoperiod.

nobby87

Postby nobby87 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:09 pm

Thanks, Ill look into it.

The lighting is just what came with my tank, https://www.fishkeeper.co.uk/product/aq ... 0-aquarium. Unfortunatley there does not seem to be any details abou the lighting and I have not been able to find any.

Return to “Aquarium Plants”