Meet the Mod - Chris Green [Chris 'Doc' Green]

Welcome to the Practical Fishkeeping Forum. If you want to introduce yourself to the community feel free to do so here.
Chris 'Doc' Green

Meet the Mod - Chris Green [Chris 'Doc' Green]

Postby Chris 'Doc' Green » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:17 pm

Well Hello There. I am Chris, but you can call me Doc, most other people do. I live and work in Rainhill in the North West of England. Avid Saints supporter (Rugby League).. I keep a menagerie of pets as well as fish but they can discussed elsewhere.

When I was born there was already a fishtank and a fishkeeper in the house in the form of my father. For the early years of my life I could often be found watching the various Goldfish, Rudd, Loach and Catfish my Dad kept. My Uncle was also an avid fishkeeper and his setups always fascinated me and still do to this day.
After always coming home covered in mud after catching various fish in the local streams, brooks and ponds my parents eventually relented and let me have a small 24"x12"x12" tank in my bedroom (which was better than the ice cream tub full of frogspawn and developing tadpoles they once found in my wardrobe)
For the first few years I kept many different species in this (not always according to the rules as well I'm afraid to admit) and this was when I started breeding fish, some on purpose and others by accident.
As I grew up I discovered a few magazines, Practical Fishkeeping and FishKeeping Answers being among the [very] few available at the time and my pocket money just covered the price of them and my fishkeeping and through them I learnt a lot and yearned to be as knowledgeable as various people like Matt Clarke and Mark Evenden [and I'm still trying to be..]
After breeding many types of fish and keeping various others I took a break from fishkeeping and left my tanks in the hands of my Dad. Eventually the gravitational pull from the black hole of fishkeeping lured me back and with the advent of Broadband Internet I discovered this forum, where I could not only pass on my experiences and interests and read other peoples, but share knowledge and learn more and more about the numerous shades we have in the hobby. When I was invited to become a Moderator for the forum I felt very proud and very, very privileged and still am, the forum members are all very open and friendly and the same goes for my fellow Mod Towers members who as mad and obsessive as I am. (or in Bob's case just Mad.)

In the past I was always drawn to Cichlids, especially Dwarf species and smaller Catfish like Corydoras and Hoplos but nowadays I am an admitted Loachaholic and tend to lean more towards Loaches and Asian Cyprinids and my new love of the various Spiny Eels in the hobby.
I am still to setup my own Marine tank (despite helping various friends and associates set up and maintain their own) and I really do need to crack on and build my own fishroom as it has been on my to do list for far, far too long.

I currently have the following tanks in operation...

75"x28"x16" high Asian River setup with various Botia, Yashuhikotakia, Schistura, Acanthocobotia, Puntius, Poropuntius, Crossocheilus, Mastacembelus.

42"x16"x16" River setup with Pelvicachromis, Yashuhikotakia, Rasbora, Puntius, Garra, Crossocheilus

30"x18"x12" with a growing group of Macrognathus siamensis and a few Puntius sachsi, Yashuhikotakia and an unknown Schistura or two.

Assorted other tanks which include various Gastromyzon, Beaufortia and Pseudogastromyzon species.
Various assorted bits and bobs that I have rehomed for various people and help pass onto others.
I also have a some high quality Black Moors in another tank (these belong to the kids, honestly they do I swear it).

There are also tanks at my parents house and both I and they have wildlife ponds. This year will see me building and setting up a very large ornamental pond for my parents and perhaps a smaller version for myself and my partner and the children.

Here are a few photos of some of my tanks and fish in various incarnations and a few videos of my pride and joy. Enjoy.

Image]

Search YouTube | Other Fishkeeping Videos

Search YouTube | Other Fishkeeping Videos

All in all I love and adore Fish and Fishkeeping. One of my nicknames at work is "Fish Police" because I come across as so serious and enthusiastic (at least I hope that is why )
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

AnnP

Postby AnnP » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:23 pm

You have some beautiful fish Bob, and nice big tank setups.

mikecloud

Postby mikecloud » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:56 pm

Great read, lovely tanks and fish too. I share your love for loaches, especially the hillies :)

Chris 'Doc' Green

Postby Chris 'Doc' Green » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:59 pm

Mike, your room with all the tanks in resembles my old bedroom but I used whatever water holding devices I could.. Storage boxes, old glass paladariums, ice cream tubs, beer brewing vats etc.. Jerry rigged filters using spares and anything I could lay my hands on.. Your room is more high tech. :D
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

mikecloud

Postby mikecloud » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:16 pm

I have my vast student debt to thank for that!!!

Chris 'Doc' Green

Postby Chris 'Doc' Green » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:39 pm

Worth it though isn't it Mike. Still if the Cheni keep breeding you should be able to pay that off in no time. :D

I'm now deciding to plan the 84" or 96" upgrade budget and hope I can sneak it past the other half..

mikecloud

Postby mikecloud » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:06 pm

It most certainy is worth it, I love my hobby. Most people at university are wasting there money on expensive city bars, I waste mine on aquaria and cheap quiet pubs :)

The cheni seem to have stopped breeding now, there are blooming loads of them scooting about of all different ages.

I'd love to hear how you plan to 'sneak' that size a tank in :D

Chris 'Doc' Green

Postby Chris 'Doc' Green » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:10 pm

The OH has French doors on the back of the house so I can easily get it in.. it will just mean getting her out of the house for a few days to swap them.. 125gallon to 200-300 gallon... doable...
I may of course need to enlist the aide of many forum members in lifting the thing but that can be sorted out nearer the time. :)

mikecloud

Postby mikecloud » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:17 pm

I'm looking forward to seeing the new big one. 300gal is huge!

Chris 'Doc' Green

Postby Chris 'Doc' Green » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:21 pm

I have to save up a lot of pennies for that one.. The tank itself won't be too expensive. The equipment needed for it will be.

Return to “Introductions”