Uv sterilizer

Welcome to the Practical Fishkeeping Forum. If you want to introduce yourself to the community feel free to do so here.
Theseus

Uv sterilizer

Postby Theseus » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:34 am

Hi. I have a 4ft tank with goldfish in it, I recently (5days ago) put a uv sterilizer in the tank because the water was very green, I have read that the sterilizers work very well to clear the water, in my case, 5 days later the tank is still as green as day one, with no sign of it clearing, am I being impatient? Or will it happen eventually? Hope someone can advise. Thanks

daz4321

Re: Uv sterilizer

Postby daz4321 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:38 am

need more information to advise

tank volume/size
lighting schedule
stocking numbers type/and size
filtration details
maintenance details
water test results ammonia/nitrite/nitrate/ph

Theseus

Postby Theseus » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:20 am

It is 182 litre tank with about 10 goldfish in.the filter/uv sterilizer is a sunsun jup01 9 watt. I do a 20% water change weekly. Water was tested last week and everything was normal. Fish are in good health. Just water is green. 4ft tank.
Last edited by Theseus on Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Theseus

Postby Theseus » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:23 am

It is 182 litre tank with about 10 goldfish in.the filter/uv sterilizer is a sunsun jup01 9 watt. I do a 20% water change weekly. Water was tested last week and everything was normal. Fish are in good health. Just water is green. 4ft tank. Should mention the fish are only small ( about 6_10 cm ) and I haven't used the light for ages due to this problem.

daz4321

Postby daz4321 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:42 am

http://injaf.org/aquarium-fish/the-gold ... -goldfish/

water test results ammonia/nitrite/nitrate/ph.......fine/good/normal is not a test result

green water is caused by a single celled algae and needs light to live, if yo are not using the aquarium lighting then it must be getting light from another source, remove this source and your issue will be helped.

Algae also needs food, this comes from fish and fish food as it breaks down, your tank is seriously overstocked as per the link at the top and this along with the above will be contributing to your issue.

A UV may help but it is better to find the cause and sort that than to keep throwing magic cures at it.

Most goldy aquarium owners change 50% water each week and sometimes more because goldies are messy large fish.

Return to “Introductions”