Go Back   Practical Fishkeeping Forum » GENERAL FISHKEEPING » General Fishkeeping

Old 22nd January 2008, 16:26   #1
Oliver

Oliver is very dependable.Oliver is very dependable.
Default how to get rid of bacterial bloom, its driving me mad!

right i started a post about a bacterial bloom i got and ammonia readings and such i have sorted all of my other problems the only one now is the water is still cloudy and when i use a water claryfier it all collects on the filter.

my tank is still maturing and i dont want to kill the bacteria on the media so what is

A) the best way to get rid of the cloudy ness and

B) how should i clean my filter media of the collected bacteria

when i use a claryfier the water clears dramaticly and in the process to removing media to clean it the water just gets polluted with teh stuff thats hanging on the filter media so i just need to know the best procedure as its driving me mad and doesnt the smell is becomin a nusence (it isnt a bad smell, its a clean smell just strong)

any advice is welcomed thanks in advance guys ur a real help
Old 22nd January 2008, 19:40   #2
helenfaulkner

helenfaulkner has disabled reputation

How long has the bacterial bloom been going on?

What are your readings for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate? High levels of any of those will be food for bacteria in your water. If so, water changes will dilute this and reduce the food sources available to the bacteria.

It could be part of the natural cycling process in your tank. If it is, using some chemical product to clear the water probably isn't a good idea, since it will presumably kill the good bacterias as well as the undesired ones in your tank, and the tank won't cycle properly.

I believe the usual advice for bacteria bloom or cloudy water is to wait, do water changes as usual or a little more than usual, and see if it clears by itself - could take several days or longer.

Having said that, I used a portable UV sterilizer to clear cloudy water in one of my tanks and it worked really well and fast (overnight). But that was in a cycled tank. In a new tank that is still cycling, I understand that there will usually be good bacteria in the water column, so anything you do to that water might damage that good bacteria, slowing the cycling process.
helenfaulkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2008, 22:38   #3
Oliver

thanks for advice helen

and it has got dramaticaly better then last night on its own and the smell is nearly gone

it looks to be that the bacteria are now adjusting to the correct levels

it was an ammonia spike that caused it in the first place but unfortunatly i used ammo-lock to keep them safe but this has messed up my readings for ammonia as they just come up as over thescale but there not.

the fish are fine and behaving normally and are appreciating the clearere more oxygenated water already by the looks of things so hopefully things are on the mend

i had to 'reset' the pH yesterday as there was no water hardness which crashed the ph out using bicarb added slowly over time and the pH is showing at a healthy 7.4 today which seems to have helped with the bloom aswell

nitrite at 0-0.25 and nitrate at 10 so atleast some cycling has happend just a wating game until nitrite is 0 and ammo lock is out of the system

thanks again
Old 23rd January 2008, 11:23   #4
helenfaulkner

helenfaulkner has disabled reputation

I'm glad it has gotten better. Nice when things work the way they are supposed to (clearing on its own, I mean).

I hope it stays away and you can have the satisfaction of crystal clear tanks forever
helenfaulkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2008, 13:57   #5
Oliver

yeah i checked the tank quicly again before i went to work and it looked a little clearer again so hopefully by the time i get home it should be even more so.

the unfortunate problem is that there are excess bacteria in the filter media and when moved they go into the water coloumn

am i better just leaving the filter media still for couple of weeks????

guy at lfs said to clean them everynow and again until water clears what u reakon best approach to this is???

cheers ol