Go Back   Practical Fishkeeping Forum » GENERAL FISHKEEPING » Fish breeding

Old 1st March 2013, 19:43   #1
ste1

ste1 has proved to be helpful.
Default Convict and firemouth cichlids

I recently purchased a pair of breeding white convicts from maidenhead aquatics but since getting them home there bond broke and got worse over time and I had to seperate then before the female got hurt, I placed her in her own 160 litre aquarium as I will probably never be able to place her back with the male, a few days ago I purchased a pair of firemouth cichlids to go in the tank with her, but now they have settled in there looking like they might both be male firemouths. My "question is" would the firemouths try to breed with the female convict or is that not possible, if it is possible is this frowned upon are people against allowing the cross breeding of fish/cichlids???.....

Last edited by ste1; 1st March 2013 at 20:06.
ste1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2013, 23:00   #2
pterygoplichthys

pterygoplichthys is very obliging

Hybridising of species' is very much frowned upon, with good reason, but in this case it won't happen as Convicts and Firemouths are of completely different genus.
pterygoplichthys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2013, 23:08   #3
ste1

ste1 has proved to be helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pterygoplichthys View Post
Hybridising of species' is very much frowned upon, with good reason, but in this case it won't happen as Convicts and Firemouths are of completely different genus.
That is what I though but in trying to find out I came across this video on you tube there are a few more showing fry. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wVN1gYV...eature=related
Old 2nd March 2013, 07:49   #4
pterygoplichthys

pterygoplichthys is very obliging

OK, I stand corrected on that one as there's lots of evidence that it happens. Thinking about it, as they are bothe Cental American I should have realised it's more likely as many of the undesirable hybrids on the market (Flowerhorns, Blood Parrots etc) are CA hybrids. I would take steps to prevent it if I was you as the fry shouldn't be passed out into the general population.
pterygoplichthys is offline   Reply With Quote