Old 25th February 2013, 12:43   #1
JDW

JDW is a voice in the crowd
Default Elephant nose - how many?

Hi Everyone,

I keep reading conflicting advice about elephant nose fish and how many to keep. Some places say on no account have more than one, and others say keep them in groups of 5 plus.

Does anybody have experience that can help me form an opinion one way or another?

I'm at the research stages of a planned 150 x 45 x 45 tank and I'm hoping to feature elephant noses one way or another.
JDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2013, 15:07   #2
matsp

matsp is very dependable.matsp is very dependable.

Elephant noses are one of those fish that probably is best left in the Congo river. They are not at all easy to keep in captivity. In nature, they forage for small anmials (worms, insects/larvae, crustaceans, etc) in the soft substrate. It is very hard to replicate this setup in captivity, and I'm not aware of many kepers that have been able to keep them longer term.

I also think the answer to your actual question: I would say either one or more than five will work - keeping a smaller number than five will lead to bullying.

--
Mats
Old 25th February 2013, 15:26   #3
JDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by matsp View Post
Elephant noses are one of those fish that probably is best left in the Congo river. They are not at all easy to keep in captivity. In nature, they forage for small anmials (worms, insects/larvae, crustaceans, etc) in the soft substrate. It is very hard to replicate this setup in captivity, and I'm not aware of many kepers that have been able to keep them longer term.

I also think the answer to your actual question: I would say either one or more than five will work - keeping a smaller number than five will lead to bullying.

--
Mats
Thanks for addressing the question, eventually.

I've kept single examples before successfully and I'm quite comfortable with their husbandry requirements. Searching for elephant nose on this and other forums brings up as many successes as failures, I'm not really up for the debate about whether they are suitable for the aquarium or not. I note that Practical Fishkeeping magazine is inconsistent on this issue, sometimes subscribing to your point of view but also running a whole feature on them several months back detailing their aquarium care.
Old 25th February 2013, 15:29   #4
tropical tank

tropical tank is very obliging

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDW View Post
Thanks for addressing the question, eventually.

I've kept single examples before successfully and I'm quite comfortable with their husbandry requirements. Searching for elephant nose on this and other forums brings up as many successes as failures, I'm not really up for the debate about whether they are suitable for the aquarium or not. I note that Practical Fishkeeping magazine is inconsistent on this issue, sometimes subscribing to your point of view but also running a whole feature on them a couple of months back detailing their aquarium care.
If your confident about their feeding and general care, then I say go for it!
If it works then we will need pics

I hope it works out for you.
Old 25th February 2013, 15:45   #5
JDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical tank View Post
If your confident about their feeding and general care, then I say go for it!
If it works then we will need pics

I hope it works out for you.
Thank you. Some way off execution of the plan, but I'll do my best re pics when it comes to it!
Old 25th February 2013, 17:29   #6
dpm1did1

dpm1did1 has proved to be helpful.

An lfs had a dozen or more in a large tank and they looked like decent oddball fish but because I had a bit if knowledge I gave th a miss.
I think a lot are bought and are dropped into community tanks and treated like any other occupant.
I would love to try them one day but they are definitely in the 'design the tank for the fish' as opposed to the 'will the fish fit the tank', a subtle difference but of major importance with such a picky eater.
Got to admit they do look good in.a group, but I'm not too keep on species tanks.
Tank #1 : ittybittyfishys - Tank #2 : Betta & community tank
Tank #3 : Shrimpies - Tank #4 : Salty & Sexy!
Tank #5 : Stripping down for storage - again!
dpm1did1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2013, 05:05   #7
N0body Of The Goat

N0body Of The Goat has proved to be helpful.

I'm an African riverine nutcase, but I cannot see myself ever going near any Elephant Nose Fish species with a barge pole.

Providing you quarantine them for several weeks to ensure they eat well and put on weight, not to mention check for plus treat any spotted infections, they can do well in a classic "African oddball" large tank. Someone at one of the popular general forums has such a setup and his appears to do very well and is even said to be "alpha fish" in the tank.

But having a big enough tank to house a 5+ group for life above having just a singleton is way beyond almost all aquarists, my own feeling is they would need a massive tank in the ballpark of 12x3x3 and you could probably count the number of people with those in the UK on less than our fingers and toes...
Old 6th April 2013, 14:48   #8
lesley anne

lesley anne is a voice in the crowd

Hi I have just joined and noticed your thread. I have a elephant nose and had him for over a year now. His tank is really just his lol i have had no issues at all with him feeding etc. I say go for it. Good luck
lesley anne is offline   Reply With Quote