Old 11th February 2013, 17:17   #1
iloveexperiment626

iloveexperiment626 is a voice in the crowd
Default Corydora Odd Behaviour

I bought a few months back 2 Venezuelan Corydoras, then decided to add another around 2 weeks after. So my shoal of three have been acting very odd after having them for a few weeks.

Before they would do what corydoras normally do; beaver about the bottom constantly looking for food, occasionally swimming a bit up and down the glass.

But now they wont stop swimming across the glass - from mid to top. Its CONSTANT, theyre so fast skimming across the top half length of my tank together backwards and forwards. its mainly at the top
I thought maybe oxygen levels but my other fish are fine and i've increased the aeration from my filter.
they're hardly ever on the bottom and im constantly worried they're not getting enough food - when they were normal they looked well fed and slightly plump, but now they look pretty normal.

Help!

*other than that* I'd say this is the best corydora specie I have owned, more expensive than my other fish but worth it, they seem far hardier than any other cory i've previously had.
Old 11th February 2013, 17:24   #2
dpm1did1

Location: Clues - Pilgrim Fathers, Mayflower steps, National Marine Aquarium...
dpm1did1 has proved to be helpful.

I have 3 Cory species and mine have occasional mad moments. Othe tines I think they have died in their sleep.

I would certainly do water checks bit you may find its just Cory craziness - I had a Trilineatus doing figures of 8 on the glass for a couple of days last week. Wasn't the first time I've seen.it, and all checks came back fine. I just sat and monitored ans overnight it just stopped
dpm1did1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2013, 17:31   #3
iloveexperiment626

iloveexperiment626 is a voice in the crowd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1did1 View Post
I have 3 Cory species and mine have occasional mad moments. Othe tines I think they have died in their sleep.

I would certainly do water checks bit you may find its just Cory craziness - I had a Trilineatus doing figures of 8 on the glass for a couple of days last week. Wasn't the first time I've seen.it, and all checks came back fine. I just sat and monitored ans overnight it just stopped
Hmm I know corys have like a 'mad half hour' like every so often, I'm just worried that that its constant and its been going on for weeks - also my water is just fine and I hoover my tank once a week. one of the corys barbels are lovely long and perfect, ones has gotten his a bit stubby and the other doesnt have barbels at all, Ive spoken to someone at my local fish shop and they say my gravel is fine and they should grow but they're not!
Old 11th February 2013, 17:39   #4
Fishbore

Fishbore has proved to be helpful.

I had a Kuhli loach do this and it turned out I'd got a small nitrite reading. As soon as I did a water change, it stopped and it's never done it since.

Allison.
Fishbore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2013, 17:43   #5
dpm1did1

Location: Clues - Pilgrim Fathers, Mayflower steps, National Marine Aquarium...
dpm1did1 has proved to be helpful.

I have 7 Trilineatus with barbels ranging from short points to competition winning whiskers. I have mine on 1mm gravel so I I suspect they can be very variable. As long as they are present and there is no sign of injury I wouldn't worry too much.

Temp affects behavior, even a couple of degrees cooler and breeding madness can set in, even if it doesn't actually lead anywhere.

I have a problem opposing yours. For weeks my pygmy corys were out and about, but for the last couple of days they have barely shown prefering to.hide under the moss. In contrast my 'shy' cpds are roaming freely. I knocked up the temp a notch and the corys came out. Now they are hidden again....its all topsy turvy!
dpm1did1 is offline   Reply With Quote