Go Back   Practical Fishkeeping Forum » TROPICAL FISH FORUM » Tropical fish health

Notices

Old 17th November 2012, 17:24   #1
Speedracer

Speedracer is a voice in the crowd
Default Pakistani/Yoyo loach red mouth

Hi all,

this is my first post & I am looking some reassurance or help with my Yoyo loach.

He is quite big, between 8 & 10cm, & about 2 years old. In all the time I have had him he has been healthy & active & not bothered any of my smaller community fish, although he did start chasing my Flying Fox, until I moved that into another tank. I think it was because it was almost as big as him, because he didn't bother the other fish from then on.

However, I have noticed the last couple of days he has been lying down most of the time & not swimming around, & his mouth looks red, almost like it is breathing. I tried to catch him to have a closer look but boy he can move when he wants to!

Now about a week ago I introduced a rainbow crab into the tank, & wondered if they could have had a tussle?
Or even if having a red mouth is normal, I can't say that I have noticed before but I haven't looked that closely at his mouth.

Any thoughts please?

Brook.
Speedracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2012, 17:55   #2
dpm1did1

dpm1did1 has proved to be helpful.

It could be possible that the crab has nipped the yoyo as my loach is very much a gravel scrabbler so it could be annoying the crab as it does its eternal food hunt.

By the way I don't believe the rainbow is a fully aquatic crab and if not can suffer if it has no landing stage.

Have you checked water parameters as ammonia in particular is an irritant to fish and can result in red marks, usually on the gills

http://www.panzerwelten.de/forum/thread-1012.html

Just found this on the crab, confirms it need an island

Last edited by dpm1did1; 17th November 2012 at 17:59. Reason: spelling + link
dpm1did1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2012, 18:32   #3
pterygoplichthys

pterygoplichthys is very obliging

It's hard to say without seeing a pic, but male YoYos have red colouration around the mouth area, particularly their barbels. Also YoYos do lie around playing dead quite often just like Clown Loaches do, so depending on where the redness is you may just have a lazy boy.
pterygoplichthys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2012, 19:30   #4
Speedracer

I have been trying to take a photograph but it is not playing ball at the moment. The best way I can describe it is it looks like it is wearing lipstick!

I have just done a partial water change, taken the carbon filter out & put an anti fungal & finrot treatment in, & as soon as I manage to get a useful picture I will post it up.

Thank you for your help.

I know about having an island over the waterline for the crab, but thanks for mentioning it, I might not have known.

I can't actually give accurate parameters on the water, I always take samples to my friendly fish shop & it is always fine, & it was tested today & will be again tomorrow.
Old 17th November 2012, 23:37   #5
pterygoplichthys

pterygoplichthys is very obliging

This might help. This is a photo of one of mine, with the red on his barbels and mouth just about visible:
pterygoplichthys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 13:32   #6
Speedracer

I haven't been able to get online since my last post as my pc crashed & have lost everything. The photo does help thank you. It seems to be a fungal infection & have treated the water with Melafix the last 2 days, & already he looks to be a lot better, most of the redness is gone, so thank you all for your help.

I will post a pic as soon as I am able to re-install my software, & hopefully he will be perfect by then!