Go Back   Practical Fishkeeping Forum » GENERAL FISHKEEPING » Aquarium equipment

Old 3rd May 2012, 18:23   #1
milan123

milan123 is a voice in the crowd
Default Ferplast Dubai 100

Can anyone give me some feedback on Ferplast Dubai 100 aquarium,was about to buy a Juwel rio 180,but the Dubai looks better,but unlike Juwel tanks which I am familiar with, just wondering how these two tanks compare on quality.
milan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2012, 11:59   #2
jasonc

jasonc is a voice in the crowd

Well I can't comment on the Dubai, but I had the Cayman 110 from Ferplast. It recently leaked water all over the floor. Turns out the bottom panel of the glass has been fitted in between the other panes, and elevated.

Usually, the bottom pane sits on the actual bottom and other panes sit on top.

Poor design in my oppinion, and wasn't worth fixing the seal.

The ballast also failed frequently.

The internal filter was ok for a while, but soon lost it's flow rate and made horrific noises.

Your call, but I just ordered a Juwel Rio 400.

hope this helps.
Jason
jasonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2012, 12:44   #3
Pablotron

Pablotron is a voice in the crowd

I cannot comment from direct experience because I'm in the same boat as you - in the market for a new tank - and have the Dubai 120 on my shortlist.

A shop local to me stocks them and I was talking to the proprietor about them a month or so back. He's stocked most of the major brands, and has historically sold a lot of Juwel kit, but sells mainly Ferplast now just because he gets a lot less stuff returned. He reckons that Ferplast have basically just copied Juwel kit and improved it where they can. I had a reasonably close look at the Dubai 100 he had on display, and I thought it seemed pretty well built, the cabinet in particular seemed a bit more solid than some of the others. I'm probably going to go for it, particularly as he said he would negotiate a swap of the internal filter that comes as part of the package (and I don't fancy) for an external, which you cannot really do with a Juwel
Pablotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 17:29   #4
Per Tetra

Per Tetra is a voice in the crowd

Hi Folks

I am currently looking looking to get a new tank and like the look of the Ferplast Dubai 100

I too would prefer an external filter rather than the internal that seems to come with the tank from Seapets

Anyone know (Pablotron ?) where I might be able to get one without the Internal ?

Thanks for any suggestions
Per Tetra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2012, 08:40   #5
Pablotron

I've just been chatting with my local shop, but in all honesty looking at the prices of internal filters I'd be surprised if they make up that much of the cost of the overall package, so I'm not sure that it will make a massive difference if I don't have to pay for that bit. I probably will buy the aquarium from that shop together with an eheim external, just because the bloke has been really helpful, but it would probably be cheaper to buy the whole lot, internal included, from somewhere like Seapets
Old 8th May 2012, 21:40   #6
Per Tetra

Per Tetra is a voice in the crowd

Thanks Pablotron, looks like I will have to buy the whole set-up and ditch the internal filter in order to get close to the style / size of tank I require

You would think there would be more choice these days but it doesn't seem to work like that !
Per Tetra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2012, 10:54   #7
Pablotron

I know exactly what you mean. The number of retailers and manufacturers would suggest that the hobby is really popular, but considering that the tank I buy will only need to tick a few boxes, there doesn't seem that much choice at all.

I imagine this is why the custom builders seem to do alright. I had a look at these, but I got a bit scared and found it hard to tell what I'd actually be getting if I went down this road, whether the kit I wanted would fit with them, etc etc.

I know they get a bit of flak from certain quarters, but you can see why Juwel are popular. You know what you're getting, you know what it will look like and you know it will all fit together. Other brands may well offer more but it's a devil's own job to find much information on a lot of them. I'm quite fortunate in that I've got a Ferplast stockist just down the road and can actually go and look at the kit myself, because there's not much on the internet about them
Old 9th May 2012, 12:18   #8
jmlong

jmlong is a voice in the crowd

I looked at the ferplast tanks on serpents but I must admit I was a bit put off by the fact I couldn't actually view one anywhere.
If you get one I'll look forward to seeing some actual photos of it.
Old 9th May 2012, 15:23   #9
milan123

milan123 is a voice in the crowd

Thank you for your imput,still can't make my mind up,but the Ferplast still is my favourite.
milan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2012, 15:44   #10
stepye

stepye is a voice in the crowd

I have just purchased and setup a Dubai 80 from Seapets also.

I am completely new to this but on setting up even i noticed that the internal filter/heater unit supplied (Bluwave) is absolutely huge. To the point where it takes up a large amount of space and covers alot of the tank with a big black box.

To put it simply it is a monstrosity. I have therefore purchased a Eheim Biopower filter and Visitherm heather and they made a massive difference to the tank, visually and space wise.

Saying that i am very happy with the tank and cabinet, no complaints at all there.
stepye is offline   Reply With Quote