Go Back   Practical Fishkeeping Forum » TROPICAL FISH FORUM » Tropical fish health

Notices

Old 31st January 2012, 13:02   #1
abzy79

abzy79 is a voice in the crowd
Default guppy cant close its mouth.

Hi.I'm running a 55 gallon tank with built in filter,amonia and nitrites zero,and nitrates lower than the lowest on colour chart,I change about 20% water every 3 days,the ph is reading 7.6.one of my guppys was swimming around and seemed like her mouth was permanantly open,and her gills were out a bit, she was swimming fine,no fin clamping no shimmy,and was well balanced,iat feeding time all the other guppies were fine(all 20 of them) but she couldn't even move her mouth to feed,it was like her mouth was frozen open,I put her in my hospital tank ready to get treatment this morning but sadly she died within 10 hours of me noticing.,what could this be,and do you think I should treat my tank with some sort of remedie,all the other fish seem fine!

Last edited by abzy79; 31st January 2012 at 13:05.
abzy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2012, 22:13   #2
abzy79

Right,have treated the whole tank with IP's no.5 general tonic,apparently stops any alien organisms from multiplying and keeps their numbers down,I wonder how long it takes for this to take effect,I've seperated the effected guppy and the other guppies in the main tank look ok so far,have checked each and every one but no sighns of. Any illness or. Lathargic behaviour,so fingers crossed!!
Old 6th February 2012, 10:13   #3
Giraffe30

Giraffe30 is a voice in the crowd

As your water readings are fine maybe he just had something stuck in there!
Old 6th February 2012, 10:42   #4
abzy79

No,there was nothing stuck in his mouth,I had a really young golden gourami and sadly he suffered the same way,just could not open his mouth and slowly slowly just clamped up completly and died,but its.been a week or so now and since a added a general fungal tonic and all the other fish seem fine.
Old 6th February 2012, 10:43   #5
Aquatic Fanatic

Aquatic Fanatic is becoming quite invaluable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abzy79 View Post
Right,have treated the whole tank with IP's no.5 general tonic,apparently stops any alien organisms from multiplying and keeps their numbers down.
Really!! Sorry but there is no such thing as a general tonic.
Old 6th February 2012, 11:15   #6
abzy79

Aquatic fanatic you could be right,there probably isn't any such thing as a general tonic,I wasn't sure what was going on so out of about 12 or 13 different remedies and chose the one that said'General Tonic,Liquisil Formula' by Interpet...it also read'Reduces background levels of bacteria,fungus and parasites in aquariums',so I used it as a precautionary just In case there was something developing with the rest of the fish, doing what it says on the can is a different matter altogether,so I think you'll find there 'is' such a thing as a General Tonic,really!!
Old 6th February 2012, 11:25   #7
Aquatic Fanatic

There will always be a background level of pathogens in any tank, the same as we are exposed to a number of germs going about our daily busines. Just the same as in we wouldn't take a general medicine. Another thing is that you shouldn't really treat a tank if you aren't sure what it is you are treating for.
Old 6th February 2012, 16:06   #8
abzy79

True FishFanatic,,I had a second opinion and he also wasn't sure,but we both thought it was probably the start of some fungal outburst like mouth rot and the like,and being the first time I ever seen this I didn't know how to go about it,I also thought it could have been columnaris,(might be spelt wrong) so separated the effected fish straight away,but all seems fine right about now so I can relax,hate having fishy funerals with the kids!! Have you ever experienced this or anything like it,if so how did you go about fixing the problem?
Old 14th February 2012, 18:47   #9
afremont

afremont is a voice in the crowd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatic Fanatic View Post
There will always be a background level of pathogens in any tank, the same as we are exposed to a number of germs going about our daily busines. Just the same as in we wouldn't take a general medicine. Another thing is that you shouldn't really treat a tank if you aren't sure what it is you are treating for.
So why don't you go ahead and tell her what's wrong with the fish and give us the proper treatment? You make allot of posts, have you ever thought of trying to be helpful instead of antagonistic?
afremont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2012, 19:18   #10
Aquatic Fanatic

Why thank you for taking the time to notice that. What has the number of posts got to do with anything. I'd be more than happy to give my thoughts on treatments, as above I started to do so, re the non existent general tonic and it's not developed on from that, so why contribute anymore. If the OP thinks that's the course of action to take regardless of mine or indeed any other members advice then so be it.

Care to share you full diagnosis and treatment programme with us??